DUMB QUESTION ON MODERN FANS

Tom Zapf

OK I KNOW THIS WILL CAUSE SOME TO GAG, BUT I HAVE 2 MODERN FANS WITH THE SAME ISSUE

#1 LASKO 16" OSCILLATOR USED AT THE AUTO PARTS STORE. THE BUSHINGS GUMMED UP IT STOPPED...THE LITTLE HEAT LINK KICKED OUT. MIKE HEFF WIRED AROUND IT IT RUNS. I PUT A CORD ON IT WITH A FUSE IN THE PLUG. IT IS NOW ONLY USED OUTDOORS AS A PATIO FAN

#2 LASKO 20" BOX FAN WITH THE LAST OF THE FULL SIZE MOTORS. GIVEN TO ME FREE AT A YARD SALE. NORMALLY THESE ARE PARTS FANS , BUT THIS ONE HAS THE VENTURI GRILLE, BIG HANDLE ON TOP AND THERMO AND LIGHT (I HAVE THE GE LOGO VERSION OF THIS) ...I AM SURE THE HEAT LINK KICKED OUT AS THESE FANS FALL OVER AND RUN UNTIL THE LINK MELTS

*****MY QUESTION...WHERE THE HECK CAN YOU FIND REPLACEMENT HEAT LINKS

THANKS! 

You might be able to use a thermal circuit breaker, they automatically reset after some time.  There also should be thermal breakers that have a manual reset button.  TVs used to have them.

They are called thermal fuses and available from electronic suppliers. Rated by temperature. You will likely not have room for a thermal breaker.

~Sparky~

OK VERY GOOD GUYS THANKS FOR THE ADVISE. I WILL CHECK FOR THERMAL FUSES . I REALLY DONT LIKE WIRING AROUND SAFETY ITEMS EVEN THOUGH OUR OLD TYME FANS DONT HAVE THEM ...I STILL FEEL FUNNY . I WILL SEE IF I CAN FIND THEM ! I WILL ADVISE 

Amazon.  Search for thermal fuse.  I just bought a pack of 5 125c ones to replace a blown one in a Lasko cyclone fan for a coworker 

OK ...TO STAN ADAMS AND EVERYONE ELSE ...I WENT ON EBAY AND TYPED IN FAN MOTOR THERMAL FUSE . UP POPPED A BUNCH . THE ODD THING IS THEY ARE ALL 250 VOLT. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I GOT OUT THE MAGNIFYING GLASS AND SURE ENOUGH THE ONE IN MY BOX FAN IS 250 VOLT. IT LOOKS LIKE 115 TEMP (C).  THE FAN HAS 2.5A AND I COULD ONLY GET 2.0 A SO FOR THE SMALL COST I WILL TRY ONE. IT WAS A PACK OF TEN . NOW THE PRODUCT I BOUGHT HAD YOU CHOOSE "FINISH" SO I PICKED 115 THE LOWEST RATING . WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS