Lively Aire 12LA4

Marc Sova

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a westy lively aire 12LA4? This thing goes off/high/low/high/off. Maybe the switch has been replaced with a three speed switch? Looks to be the original switch though. (Says Leviton on it like my other one and one I saw in a video on YouTube).
  Headwire is original (interestingly, three conductor wire with one wire cut short and wrapped with black thread). Power cord is not original. Obviously someone has been inside here.  

IMG_9430.jpeg

IMG_9429.png

• 2 weeks later...

Here is crude drawing I made 3 years ago. I hope you can make some sense of it.  I don’t have my fan anymore. I didn’t like the “clam shell” design of the motor housing. 

IMG_7458.jpeg

• Like 1

Yours is wired correctly. Seems that switch is doing some strange things, but wiring is fine & switch is correct.

BTW, I redid one for a church member a while back which also had a three wire headwire with one conductor not being used, it was original.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 10:57 AM, Stan Adams said:

Yours is wired correctly. Seems that switch is doing some strange things, but wiring is fine & switch is correct.

BTW, I redid one for a church member a while back which also had a three wire headwire with one conductor not being used, it was original.

Thanks Stan. I found a switch….at this giant “architectural salvage” type place. That have a couple massive aisles with all those little plastic boxes (bascially where they’ve bought out an old hardware store closing) with nuts and bolts and widgets and I found a couple boxes with some old stitches. But….I don’t think as old as I had hoped. This one looks nearly identical to the one in the fan. Says LEVITON on it but also has mexico on it though so it’s def newer. But not as new as what you find at a current hardware store. Anyhow…I don’t know how to check if it is the correct type switch (in other words…Im guessing it’s a three position switch but just don’t know if it is three speeds (off/A/B/C or is it may be off/A/B/A+B which is my guess and probably harmful? Make sense?)

Edited by Marc Sova

Marc, since that uses a resistor instead of a stator tap, that switch pattern isn’t harmful, it will equal out. I would use an ohm meter to check the switch configuration. If it is a lamp switch & is 1, 2, then 1&2, you would have off, hi, low, then high, then off.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 7:50 AM, Stan Adams said:

Marc, since that uses a resistor instead of a stator tap, that switch pattern isn’t harmful, it will equal out. I would use an ohm meter to check the switch configuration. If it is a lamp switch & is 1, 2, then 1&2, you would have off, hi, low, then high, then off.

Thanks Stan. Still Learning about using the multimeter in fans…at least how to check stator. How would I check the switch? Yea it goes off hi low hi. Nice to know it’s Proabbly not harmful!