1950s Wizard box fans

Steve Shead

Hello everybody! I'm happy to be a part of the new AFCA forum. These are box fans with the name "Wizard" I do believe they were manufactured by the C&H air-conditioning fan company and were sold through Wizard western auto stores . Likely were made in the early 1950s to the 60s, I've never seen a catalog or the box these came in , very few fan collector's knew a lot about them . My Grandparents owned the C&H Air-conditioning fan company version back in the early 90s when I was growing up it was probably the first vintage box fan I remember seeing as a child. It was odd looking but very interesting I loved the retro green color and start up sound it made when it ran . I own 4 of these and have restored them . They're probably my favorites in my collection.

20230830_173500_HDR.jpg

20230830_173514_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20230812-133830.png

ITS VERY INTERESTING LOOKING. THE STYLE WITH THE ROUND FRONT GRILLE LOOKS VERY SIMILAR TO THE BERSTED ESKIMO MANNING BOWMAN STYLE OF FAN , BUT THERE THE SIMILARITIES END. THE BLADE LOOKS SIMILAR TO THE 1954 THINLINE HOMART WINDOW FANS BUT NOT EXACT. VERY INTERESTING . YOU SHOULD SHOW US THE ROLLABOUT RESTORES! 

Yes these do resemble some of the bersted and mgraw edison fans in terms of structure, and they put a lot effort on the way the blades were built . With that being said.. the printed steel hinges and blade pitch produces a massive volume of air flow and is very quiet.  As for the rollabout stands I still have them but not with me right now . I may be able to get a few pics when I go back to storage. Thank you for the comment Tom!

4 hours ago, Tom Zapf said:

ITS VERY INTERESTING LOOKING. THE STYLE WITH THE ROUND FRONT GRILLE LOOKS VERY SIMILAR TO THE BERSTED ESKIMO MANNING BOWMAN STYLE OF FAN , BUT THERE THE SIMILARITIES END. THE BLADE LOOKS SIMILAR TO THE 1954 THINLINE HOMART WINDOW FANS BUT NOT EXACT. VERY INTERESTING . YOU SHOULD SHOW US THE ROLLABOUT RESTORES! 

Yes these do resemble the mgraw edison and bersted made fans in terms of structure. They put effort into designing the blades,with that being said.. the printed hinges and blade pitch produces a massive volume of aire flow. And it's astounding how qiute these things are too. For some reason I've  found these to be the most interesting box fans ever made. As for the rollabout stands , I still have them but not with me right now .. I may be able to get a few pics in the next day or so. Thank you for the comment Tom!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK I AM GLAD YOU STILL HAVE THE STANDS ...SO MANY ACCESSORIES LIKE STANDS, SIDE PANELS, WINDOW MOUNTS, BREEZE SPREADER ATTACHMENTS AND MORE ALL GO MISSING OVER THE YEARS  

3 hours ago, Tom Zapf said:

EP UP THE GOOD WORK I AM GLAD YOU STILL HAVE THE STANDS ...SO MANY ACCESSORIES LIKE STANDS, SIDE PANELS, WINDOW MOUNTS, BREEZE SPREADER ATTACHMENTS AND MORE ALL GO MISSING OVER THE YEARS  

I'm going to keep living my passion and enjoying what I do , and I want everybody to enjoy it as well. Older fans particularly vintage are prone to get lost over the years ... I bought my first vintage fans in 2019 and luckily still have everything that came with them . Not that I can say the same thing for several of them not working right now . I have a 1960s Domonion desk fan I got on my 30th birthday 4 years ago that I needs replacement motor . 

Just now, Steve Shead said:

I'm going to keep living my passion and enjoying what I do , and I want everybody to enjoy it as well. Older fans particularly vintage are prone losing parts over the years ... I bought my first vintage fans in 2019 and luckily still have everything that came with them . Not that I can say the same thing for several of them not working right now . I have a 1960s Domonion desk fan I got on my 30th birthday 4 years ago that I needs replacement motor .