Vornado 32CT

Mark Winternheimer

Good morning all,

I always enjoy the pictures of completed projects and thought I would post a recently completed Vornado 32CT I finished over the weekend.  Pretty happy how is turned out.  Neat little fan.

Vornado 32CT-1.jpg

Vornado 32CT-2.jpg

Vornado 32CT-3.jpg

• Like 2

WHERE DID YOU FIND THE COLORS? THAT CAME OUT TERRIFIC. I HAVE HAD THE 6" AND LARGER 8" PHENOLIC BLADE VERSION (VERY LARGE) BOTH MISSING THE SIDE PANELS.................... I SOLD THEM BOTH I THINK OVER TIME TO LANE SHIREY AS JEANNIE LIKED THEM

I NOW HAVE TWO OF THESE  6" TWIN UNITS IN MY PROJECT PILE TO BE WORKED ON FOR NEXT SUMMER. BOTH IN BOXES WITH SIDE PANELS AND ALL PACKING INTACT. TOO BAD TYPICAL VORNADO WIRING ISNT INTACT SO THEY NEED COMPLETE REWIRING-DO OVER THIS WINTER . CANT WAIT TO USE THEM ! 

Thanks Patrick, Marce and Tom,

The paint is actually original.  I completely disassembled the fans and gave them a good cleaning followed by rubbing compound and wax.  I did have to touch up the right fan blade.  I used Duplicolor Emerald Green  Metallic.  It's not a perfect match but very close.  Since it was the fan blade I wasn't too concerned since it is not a surface that is visible.  I was lucky, the wiring was still good; however, there were two wires inside the control panel that used a coating that had become brittle.  I had to remove them and strip off the coating and replace with heat shrink.  I would assume your fans will need the same treatment.  The unit puts out an amazing amount of air on high.  Reminds me a twin prop plane taking off.  It is a really a cool little fan.

• Like 1

Great job cleaning up the original finish! I love finding good fans that just need a buff job. I've saved so many finishes with just done compound followed by waxes. No need to repaint if the good stuff is still under the grime!

Thanks all.  I wish I could take credit but the fan was the star of the show, I just applied the elbow grease.  Several years ago I restored a 1952 Chambers gas stove, it had a few bumps and burses but over all in good shape.  Sometimes a full restoration is in order; however, I think the imperfections help tell the story if the item.

Tom, the picture below shows the two wires that had the insulation that was brittle and starting to fail. 

Vornado 32CT-4.jpg

Thanks Chris.  It moves a lot of air for it's size.  Probably not the most practical fan in the world, but definitely one of the cooliest designs of the 50's.

This would be very useful if there were a few people in a larger room and trying to circulate air in different directions.  I love the machine age design, just need matching style table and ceiling lamps.  

Chris, I have become a big MCM fan over the years as well, no pun intended.  Lighting from the 50 and 60's is just as cool as the fans from this period.