R&M rotor shaft bushings

James Landry

20230911_002912.thumb.jpg.0fe51ca1f88d65b68eb4429bf9a9ebc2.jpgPulled the motor apart to measure bushings and noticed that both the front and rear appear to be the same ID (3/8"), OD (1/2") and overall length of 7/8", however the front bushing has "V" shaped grooves (I assume for oil flow), whereas the rear is smooth. Both have the oil wick holes near the center. These seem pretty specific, as when I look up bushings online, there are hundreds of images to be seen that look nothing like what I have, complete with no oil wick holes. I assume the front bushing HAS to have the grooves, and not needed on the rear? Is this correct? IF and when I ever find new bushings, can they be removed on any side or direction, or does THAT matter at all? And finally, there's gotta be someone, somewhere that has these style bushings. Can someone please guide me to them? Thank you

4 hours ago, James Landry said:

20230911_002912.thumb.jpg.0fe51ca1f88d65b68eb4429bf9a9ebc2.jpgPulled the motor apart to measure bushings and noticed that both the front and rear appear to be the same ID (3/8"), OD (1/2") and overall length of 7/8", however the front bushing has "V" shaped grooves (I assume for oil flow), whereas the rear is smooth. Both have the oil wick holes near the center. These seem pretty specific, as when I look up bushings online, there are hundreds of images to be seen that look nothing like what I have, complete with no oil wick holes. I assume the front bushing HAS to have the grooves, and not needed on the rear? Is this correct? IF and when I ever find new bushings, can they be removed on any side or direction, or does THAT matter at all? And finally, there's gotta be someone, somewhere that has these style bushings. Can someone please guide me to them? Thank you

I've gotten them at mcmaster.com in the past and sometimes found them at Lowe's, Ace and HD. You might have to trim the length to match your existing ones.

John

5 hours ago, John Fengel said:

I've gotten them at mcmaster.com in the past and sometimes found them at Lowe's, Ace and HD. You might have to trim the length to match your existing ones.

John

Do they actually come with the oil wick holes already cut, or do you have to drill them out yourself? Will they have to have the oil notches cut in (like original front bushing has?), or will they still work without?  I have today off- going to go on another 3 hour (I'm sure) "drive about", in search of these items. What about the correct puller?- Harbor Freight(?), or can I do the drift & hammer method? Thanks John!

10 hours ago, John Fengel said:

John

Well, after 4 places didn't have any, I found some at Ace. Same dimensions, minus the oil wick hole and oil galley scribes. Guess I'll have to drill them out for the oil wick holes, oil galley's be damned. Guess there's noplace you can buy direct fit anything these days, ANYWHERE! (Ask me about the 3 "direct fit" catalytic converters I've purchased! 🙄). This stuff gets tough when you have to cobble ill fitting garbage together. Now to drive the old bushings out, drill out the new, drive them in, crack the housings and mash the new bushing ends to a point where they'll have to be filed back out to get the rotor shafts to go through. Guess that's what y'all do. I'll give it a whirl and post the results. LOL.

Was able to successfully remove one bushing and have yet to cut it down and drill the holes out for the wicks ×2. Will need to set up a puller (nobody has one that small around here) or screw type pulling device on the oscillator end as there won't be enough room to send it inwards towards the gears without removing that fixed gear, not going to get into THAT. Also, the new bushings don't really seem all that much tighter on the shafts than the old ones :classic_mellow: but I guess we'll see...

Well, I cut, drilled, filed & sanded the new front nose bushing to dimensions as original and installed. The wick lines up perfectly with the hole I cut. I've found I actually enjoy working with bronze- it's very forgiving. Regard:

20230915_171059.thumb.jpg.6f1ab4210ac88015bcd8975b9a19428c.jpg20230915_175212.thumb.jpg.8c5aa82837f683189962cd64c90b4cdc.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Paul Carmody said:

How did you get the old bushings out?

Found a long socket with the exact OD dimensions and tap, tap, tapped it a million times with a light duty hammer. There were gnashing at the teeth on every strike, but it came out slowly but surely. Installation was the same, in reverse. The oil wick hole lined up EXACTLY where it should, and wick protrudes nicely! Overall, it went splendidly, and then I was able to fit the proper shims into place with about 1/16" shaft endplay and zero binding (like it was doing everytime I tried to get that 1/4" end play tightened up). This baby spins WAY nicer than it did before, seems the top speed has picked up a good notch, to boot!!! I am THRILLED!!! Now, just need to make it to Lake Houston meet to HOPEFULLY pick up a nicely balanced blade assembly and a variac (needed a variac for years, now...) Heads up, people!!! :)

• Like 1