Early and rare ceiling fans, where are they?

Dan Nguyen

I often browse this section and have a question here:
Where have the early and rare ceiling fans gone?
Why are their images so rare here?
Perhaps, only Evan Atkinson can answer these questions.

• Like 1

Paul Graves is working currently on a Knock-out 2-bladed Pilsbury Century. Sadly I bet the old & rare Ceiling fans were DC in many cases and confiscated for repurposing the metals into war waging machines. I bet the ceiling fan population was hit much harder than even the desk fan population during both of the world wars.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I have several photos of my church Sanctuary with column ceiling fans all around the downstairs. The balcony ceiling fans had huge ornate light globes. AC was installed in 1950 & all of that “old fashion junk” went to the scrap yard.

• Sad 2

On 9/16/2023 at 6:30 AM, Geoff Dunaway said:

Paul Graves is working currently on a Knock-out 2-bladed Pilsbury Century. Sadly I bet the old & rare Ceiling fans were DC in many cases and confiscated for repurposing the metals into war waging machines. I bet the ceiling fan population was hit much harder than even the desk fan population during both of the world wars.

Certainly the way of scrap cars and unused cars. Huge push to turn em into ships and shells.  Even the ancient historic cannons of Fort Independence were not spared.

On 9/16/2023 at 3:22 PM, Stan Adams said:

I have several photos of my church Sanctuary with column ceiling fans all around the downstairs. The balcony ceiling fans had huge ornate light globes. AC was installed in 1950 & all of that “old fashion junk” went to the scrap yard.

Stan, I would love to see these pictures! 

Jack here is one that shows two of the column fans. I have another that shows them with two large circulators behind the altar rail, but can’t locate it right now. The top on these resemble a Tuerk, but not really any close ups.

IMG_3909.jpeg

• Like 1

It seems that most of the early fans are in India. They not only had nice fans during the British imperial time, but are driven to repair and not to discard. Every other country melted them down years ago. 

I’m sure there are some wonderful fans collecting dust in some restaurant, hotel, or mansion attic. 

On 9/21/2023 at 7:33 AM, Stan Adams said:

Jack here is one that shows two of the column fans. I have another that shows them with two large circulators behind the altar rail, but can’t locate it right now. The top on these resemble a Tuerk, but not really any close ups.

IMG_3909.jpeg

This is awesome! Definitely Tuerk’s, and I’m gonna bet Wavy-Bottom. The top-mounted blade iron seen on the right fan tells the tale. Thanks for sharing! 

Jack that is what I was thinking too! I’ll try to find the photos with the balcony & under balcony fans. There are ceiling fans in the 1928 drawings for every room in the 6 story education building. Lots of hooks still in the plaster ceiling above the drop ceiling. The column fans were in the 1910 building. Evidently this photo was taken right after they built the new (1928) building next door. We still use the 1928 elevators with the dial over the door.

I have no early ceiling fans to show, but I do have some period pictures.  No doubt some of you have seen some of these before and I likely got some from this site, but here you go.  It did look to me that there were a lot of DC fans and Diehl seemed to be well represented.  I have several more if anyone is interested.

close_up.JPG

closer.JPG

Diehl_front_left.jpg

the_fan.JPG

all1.jpg

The_whole_shot_6_fans_in_all1.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2023 at 6:40 PM, Dave Hoatson said:

It seems that most of the early fans are in India. They not only had nice fans during the British imperial time, but are driven to repair and not to discard. Every other country melted them down years ago. 

I’m sure there are some wonderful fans collecting dust in some restaurant, hotel, or mansion attic. 

yes the fans are getting rarer but still there are fans out there . anyone looking for ceiling fans i have few .

thanks