Any info on a Diehl RA 501?

Chris Jacobsen

Just obtained a parts Diehl RA501, does anyone have info on these?  About what year, reversible? Wiring if it is indeed reversible?  Would be great to know a little history on it, ads and such.  I understand Diehl introduced the first electric powered ceiling fan!  Pretty cool.

Screenshot_20230918_085246_Gallery.jpg

34 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Diehl started a partial move to Finderne, NJ. in 41. Your tag looks 30s. 

Cool, good to know.  I would have guessed earlier than 60s for sure.  Is there any literature or ad databases for Diehl ceiling fans?  Or Diehl fans in general?

Nice fan! One of the later models. Fantastic having the switch. They evolved slowly over the years, the earlier ones had cast blade brackets & the later ones the stamped steel.

4 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

Nice fan! One of the later models. Fantastic having the switch. They evolved slowly over the years, the earlier ones had cast blade brackets & the later ones the stamped steel.

Thanks for the comments, I am hoping it is at least reversible.  It is a rather bland looking fan but I suppose that was the thing coming into the 30s and 40s.  Shaving off all the frills of the earlier days to be sleek and streamlined.  Maybe influence of the depression too going cheaper and easy.

I doubt it’s reversible, Diehl’s seldom are. Most of their late teens on up fans are quite plain, but well built. Interestingly I have a Diehl which is a rebadged Hunter. I’m guessing they outsourced during the move.

Oh well, reversible would be great to have.  Do you have any idea where to get info on the model numbers?  I searched around and found model 502 but some of the prefixes were different.  I was curious of what they could indicate.  I habe about 6 very old ceiling fans now since I joined the forums which is too many now so need to figure out which ones I would like to part with.  Blessing or curse, I am in CA where these fans are pretty scarce.