Westinghouse ball motor fan

Kristina Falck

I just purchased a Westinghouse ball motor fan at auction and it’s blowing air in the wrong direction?!?  Is the motor in the casing just facing the wrong direction? Any help is much appreciated. Also I have another of the same model that is slow to start and I have to give the blade a push. Will a little lubrication help this issue resolve?

CAN YOU ADD A PHOTO? I AM WONDERING IF THE ORIGINAL BLADE BROKE AND SOMEONE REPLACED IT WITH ONE FOR A MOTOR TURNING THE OTHER WAY. WESTY FANS USUALLY TURNED COUNTER CLOCKWISE 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 11:12 AM, Steven P Dempsey said:

A faulty capacitor can make a fan turn wrong.

I believe they’re shaded pole. So no cap. 

Sure sounds like someone at some point took the motor apart to clean and service it and put the armature in backwards !! Those use the same basic motors as the Livelyaire’s and if you remove the armature then replace it in backwards the fan will run clockwise not counter clockwise as designed !! Just my thoughts !! 

• 5 weeks later...

KRISTINA, IT WOULD BE REALLY HELPFUL TO HAVE A PHOTO. AS YOU CAN SEE ABOVE THE BLUE PANEL FAN HAS A REVERSIBLE POSITION FOR THE FAN UNIT FOR INTAKE AND EXHAUST, THE BALL UNITS WERE ALSO USED IN HASSOCK FANS AND THE PULL CHAIN 10" KITCHEN WALL FAN AMONGST OTHERS . IF THE MOTOR ITSELF IS ACTUALLY RUNNING BACKWARDS THEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM ... 

• 1 month later...

The Ball motor fans were always CCW rotation, they did not use capacitors, they were a 4 pole motor.  i checked every catalog i have from 1948-1964 no window fan with the ball motor was electrically reversible.  my guess is that someone reassembled your fan incorrectly at some point. ive had these apart, and there is nothing preventing this from happening,  the stator fits in the housing either way.

• Like 2

THE PANEL WINDOW FANS WERE MANUALLY REVERSIBLE WITH THE ENTIRE FAN UNIT SNAPPING OUT OF THE PANEL AND TURNED AROUND AND SNAPPED BACK IN , THE FANS TURNED ONE DIRECTION ONLY...YOU ARE CORRECT 

• 2 weeks later...

That is the only fan Spiderman ever used! 🙂
I think I'd paint it black and add a red hourglass. I want one!