Reversible shaded pole motor?

Chris Jacobsen

I have a ceiling fan with the shaded poles that are actually wire wound and connected somehow.  I did not open the housing yet but it seems they might be wired up separately.  Is this some method of making a shaded pole reversible?

23 hours ago, Steve Cunningham said:

Emerson produced one for years. We called them round nose models. 

I have an older roundnose but not reversible.  The shading coils are solid and welded I recall.  This one is different but I don't know how the impedance can be changed to make it reverse.

With reversible, there are usually two sets of wires on the shade. One for clockwise and one for counterclockwise.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

With reversible, there are usually two sets of wires on the shade. One for clockwise and one for counterclockwise.

Right on, Stan.

There are two sets of shading coils, and each shading coil is many winds on its respective pole face, instead of the familiar single short-circuited turn.

Each pole face has two slots, one on each side.

Each set is series'ed together.   On one set, the coils are placed to cause a clockwise magnetic shift (rotation),... the other set, CCW.

A single-pole double-throw switch will either short-circuit the series of CW shading coils or the CCW shading coils.

Screenshot_20231007-213544_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c60249f56a1a15ff0ad088d4a598e9c9.jpg

• Like 1

Yep. You should get about an ohm of resistance per set. A two-position SPDT toggle or Levolier selects either the CW or CCW set.

I have been pretty busy fixing up a house, just got to thos today.  Thanks for the input, especially Jim!  That was exactly what I was looking for.  Now I can open it up and poke around not-so-blindly.  I know some of these Diehl fans were reversible, usually levolier switches.  Maybe this can even be modified as such since the shaded poles are actually wound.