Odd motor noise

Greg Calmly

This is my 87' Toastmaster 4435(C)

it always made this weird motor sound and just yesterday I decided to take apart the motor and see whats up.

It was dry and there were no oil wicks. So I installed some, now the noise starts like 15 minutes after the fan runs on low.

The other speeds are unaffected only low as shown below.

The motor is the later Toastmaster/Edison style motor.

It used to draw 2.2A on high now it draws 2.0. (the motor as of the video was oiled and tested for other errors)

Cant figure out the problem any help appreciated thanks. ❤️

I heard it. Kinda sounds like the noise my old R&M was making before I straightened the blades and changed the bushings. If your blades are straight and not cracked or chipped, best guess would be worn bushings(?). That's all I got...

IT DOES SOUND DRY, WHAT OIL DID YOU PUT IN THERE?  NO WICK IS NOT A SURPRISE. WHEN THIS WAS MADE FANS WERE GETTING SUPER CHEAP (NOT YET LIKE TODAY) AND WERE NOT MEANT TO BE "KEPT" . HMMMMMM   MY 2 CENTS IS THAT AS IT WARMS UP WHATEVER OIL YOU USED IS THINNING OUT HENCE THE NOISE. I LIKE USING A BETTER MOTOR OIL LIKE A 10W30 MOTOR OIL ...A BIT THICKER 

Well, I ended up oiling the toastmaster with 3 in 1 just from the back shaft.

It runs a little better? I really didn't run it long but it did not make any noise (yet)

The spindown was noticeably worse.

They are slightly offset but it doesnt shake or make much noise. Most edison bladesets like this did that. lakewood 1st gens were known for that too.

I think its either oil or bearing related. although there wasnt much scoring on the shaft like I thought there would be.

• Like 1