Any help out there - Graybar 8504

Leslie Weinberg

I'd really like to get this fan back in aervice. I posted about it once already. There are 3 head wires. The speed coil looks intact but the line in and out is disconnected/shredded/absent. Is this something a beginner can figure out with a wiring diagram. Any one have a wiring diagram?

Thanks all! 

20231004_232127.jpg

20231004_232210.jpg

20231004_232259.jpg

20231004_232224.jpg

20231004_232139.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Just giving my post a bump. I'd really like to get this fan back to it's old working glory. The lastest info I've gleaned is that my fan's broken nub switch may be bussed to the hot leg.  Is that right?  Anyone have a wiring diagram? Any advice would help.

Thanks!

Your fan is an R&M rebranded for Greybar so finding information on the equivalent R&M should tell you what you need.   I think your fan is from the mid 1920s.   You may find that information for R&M fans is hard to come by.  They are common and good fans however.  Good luck, I have sold my R&Ms that might have matched your Greybar.

I was hoping to see color coded wires but they are too old.There is a difference in the striped wires.The one left red arrow is slightly thicker ,and the wire inside cloth cover has plastic or hard coating.If you look at the one right yellow arrow it only has cloth covering and bare copper.Just match with your existing head wire.I use colored tape to keep them sorted as I trace to head.Hope this helps.

IMG_1686.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much Paul! Sadly it appears that one wire to the coil is missing and the other is bare. Also when I was messing with it, I got a shock that was so low and slow it took me a bit to figure it out! Was that from a capacitor? For starting/winding? A sneaky blast from the past. I'm pretty sure this fan has been out of service over 25 years. All that to say, I'm happy to pass this project on to anyone for 20 bucks and shipping charges. 

16998232254708621574190084278268.jpg

16998232582941782500262321725261.jpg

16998232764665623301009973737079.jpg

You can cover the bare wire with shrink tube.Be careful not to break wire.You can see the nub I circled yellow where the other wire goes.You can pick the tape back to get to them ,being extremely careful not to break a coil wire.I had the same situation ,here’s what I did.This is a Westinghouse it’s just an example.

I would be interested in your offer if you don’t want to attempt it.If you attempt it and fail I would not be interested.But I do encourage you to try.

Paul Carmody

• Author
Posted June 1 (edited)

All seemed to be going well and that fear we probably  all had as to how easy it would be for those tiny wires to break at, or in the the coil.Yepp!-it happened.The yellow head wire broke off in the speed coil.I had a hard time even finding where they were.I had to use reading glasses, magnifying glasses, my helping hand magnifier, tweezers.I finally found a good use for my dental pick.

I’m thinking.Well that’s it, parts bin.What do I have to lose so I attempt to repair.Looks good, time will tell.I go about screwing it to porcelain and one of the switch to coil wires is missing.Laying on the floor!Broke off even with coil.Two tiny wires the size of 3 day growth of whiskers.I carefully picked in with the above tools until I could see coil wires.Made an epoxy pocket,let it set overnight so that I didn’t solder into the coil wires.I think this will never work but what the heck? It seems to go well and I then notice I broke the outside coil wire while picking.Another fear.I was able to fish it out but there was not enough slack.I pulled one strand out of an 16 Gauge wire and soldered a bridge.Have you ever tried to solder a hair sized wire to another hair sized wire.Yellow Line.

IMG_1086.jpeg

IMG_1720.jpeg

IMG_1721.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

Thanks Paul for that further info. I think I'll be too worried about my workmanship to even feel comfortable using the fan if I were successful. Plus I don't have the proper tools (no soldering iron or heat gun. I do have a dental tool though... why! ). It's all yours. But could you please explain the origin of the zap I got. 

I'm new here. How do we do this? Is this kosher? I can't PM you because I'm just a guest... 

I hope the fan gods will smile on me again down the line with a nice, safe refurb next time. Or I'll make it to a fan fair if you all ever do something out west. 

On 11/12/2023 at 10:36 PM, Leslie Weinberg said:

Thanks Paul for that further info. I think I'll be too worried about my workmanship to even feel comfortable using the fan if I were successful. Plus I don't have the proper tools (no soldering iron or heat gun. I do have a dental tool though... why! ). It's all yours. But could you please explain the origin of the zap I got. 

I'm new here. How do we do this? Is this kosher? I can't PM you because I'm just a guest... 

I hope the fan gods will smile on me again down the line with a nice, safe refurb next time. Or I'll make it to a fan fair if you all ever do something out west. 

My email is ……….. we can work out the details.Thanks!

Edited by Paul Carmody