Need help identifying older ceiling fan I had acquired today

Levi Mevis

Hello everyone, today I had found on Facebook Marketplace a What I'm assuming is a 1960s or 1970s vintage Sears Ceiling fan that is a rebadged Emerson Ceiling Fan, but I'm not sure, as the body style and shape of the fan (and even the blade irons) screams Emerson but there was a more modern light kit put onto the ceiling fan at some point in the fan's life and that's kind of throwing me for a loop, and also it looks like the fan is non-reversable (unless I'm missing something.)

I have a picture posted below.

Thanks for your help.

-Levi 

IMG_0464.JPG

This fan is indeed an emerson. Emerson made lots of fans for Sears until they stopped and Lasko began to produce copies that actually weren't that bad. These do not really have a proper model name but we typically throw these under the “Designer” category. In the late 70s- early 80s emerson made a plastic housing ceiling fan called the designer. It came in 3 sizes, 36”, 42” and 52”. All sizes including your fan came in either white or brown. The official 42” and 52” Designer fans came in brass too. Yours did not because it was a Sears exclusive. These were made from 1980 to 1982. They use the K55 motor, except for the last year of production which use the KB55. You are very lucky your fan did not yellow. Even the brown ones fall victim to it. But white ones eventually turn mustard yellow. That light kit is an aftermarket addition. It was made by hunter, probably in the 90s. These fans were a real bottom of the barrel offering. They did have cheaper fans like the single speed Blenderfan. I personally really love these fans. They were not bad by any means and got the job done. To the AFCA it probably doesn't have too much value but the second you move more towards the vintage ceiling fan collectors, people will probably take even more interest. I have my feet in both grounds and thats how I know what I know about these. If you need other information I can probably get it for you!

Some other pieces of info that I forgot to add that may be of interest, 

I somehow didn't mention that this particular fan is actually 40”. They did also make 52” versions. Both came in white or brown. These were the sears equivalent to the Designer. They did not have an official name.

You also mentioned you thought this was from the 60s or 70s. What Emerson actually did during those periods is very different. The early 60s until I believe 1967 was when they still made the Roundnose. Then they introduced the “Heat Fan/Blender Fan” the earliest ones had trans-shaft pullchains and cardboard blades. They eventually moved to fiberglass. These fans used the K63 motor. The Blenderfan line continued to evolve until the late 80s. In the 70s, besides the blenders, at Sears they had the Turn Of The Century. This was a Blender Fan that had a plastic housing on it. Eventually it got upgraded in terms of design and it became much more of its own things. There are tons of versions of this. Some are made by Lasko too.

Final note here, the term “Blender Fan” is not an official emerson term. Emerson called them the “Heat Fan” but some collector decided to mention how much they looked like blenders and the name stuck.

Thank's for the info! I figured it was a rebadged Emerson, the person I got the fan from said he took it out of his dining room in his house when he was remodeling and said he didn't know the history of the house except that it was built in the 1960s and that he wasn't sure when the fan was installed and that it was there when he moved in several years ago and that's why I assumed (and he did too) that the fan might of been original to the house and I gave a date of the 1960s.

But its good to know that its a decent quality American made fan from just before everything went overseas. 😁 👍

I was thinking of finding a little better matching lightkit for the fan.

Edited by Levi Mevis

If you really want to bring in the classic look, a 4” globe fitter with a round globe would be perfect. You can easily paint the fitter to match too!

7 hours ago, Christian Kasprzyk said:

If you really want to bring in the classic look, a 4” globe fitter with a round globe would be perfect. You can easily paint the fitter to match too!

I shall try that, because actually just about every example of this fan I've seen pictures of online had a single 4" globe fitter with a round globe on it, plus since I'm planning on installing it in either my office or my music room I think a single light bulb will be plenty bright. 

Another Question, can this ceiling fan be installed using a standard light fixture style electrical box? I'm asking because that's all I have in my office and music room and the fan doesn't seem like its heavy enough to warrant the use of a bracketed style electrical box. 

Typically with any ceiling fan it is recommended that you use an actual fan rated box. I have installed heavier on plastic boxes without issue. I cannot officially recommend it myself but it can be done. It does take a lot of work to swap out a box. Those fans are not the heaviest either.

10 hours ago, Christian Kasprzyk said:

Typically with any ceiling fan it is recommended that you use an actual fan rated box. I have installed heavier on plastic boxes without issue. I cannot officially recommend it myself but it can be done. It does take a lot of work to swap out a box. Those fans are not the heaviest either.

The reason I asked is because my house being from 1921 has its original K & T wiring in it yet and thus has the original shallow light boxes that are screwed into the joists in the ceiling and I actually installed a newer (1990s vintage) Hunter Ceiling fan in my bedroom by just screwing it straight to the joists and then wiring it to the old K & T wiring in the ceiling and its held pretty good so far, and I was thinking of doing that with this Emerson made Ceiling fan.

7 hours ago, Christian Kasprzyk said:

I see, yes, that should do fine for the Emerson. I hope it turns out great!

I'm going to have to do some major cleaning of the plastic blades and the top of the fan motor housing because there is years of kitchen grease and dirt buildup on the the blades and the top of the motor from years of the fan being hung in a dining room which is next to the kitchen in the house it came out of.

Edited by Levi Mevis

That is pretty typical. Luckily the fan is plastic so cleaning it is easier than other fans. Definitely update with some photos once it is up!