Need Volunteers to Gather Data for New Wikipedia + List of Completed Mfr Histories

Lane Shirey

Hello members, as you know we are in the midst of 2 projects. The first is the rejuvenation of the old forum, and I hope to be able to share some positive information about that in the upcoming months. 

The second project is to build the forum Wiki. This will be the respository  for company histories, fan terminology, and various how-to articles in a single, easily searchable source. This is NOT intended to replace the old forum, but rather exist side by side with it. 

I have been working with Pat at the magazine to glean all history and how-to write ups from the magazine and they will be moved to the Wiki. About 100 articles have been marked so far.  It’s been a very time consuming task and we need your help to expand this effort! Of course only a handful of company histories have been featured in the magazine, but many have been discussed in great detail in the old and new forums. 

We need volunteers in this effort.  If you’ve already volunteered to assist with the old forum data, I don’t want to assume you’re interested in helping with this effort, so I’m starting a fresh list.  Hopefully some of the same folks will offer their assistance. 

Here’s what your work will look like:  we have a master list of all known manufacturers (over 800) , and we’re hoping to eventually have histories for as many as we can.  The most common brands are the priority right now.  The task includes choosing a brand or manufacturer, then looking on the old forum to see if posts exist from members. Then the text from those post interchanges will need to be copied into a word document and edited into a concise document of a page or 2 in length.  Then you’ll email it to me for a final edit before Jamie adds it to the Wiki .  

For those volunteering, I’ll personally give you more details and help with this.  If you have basic knowledge with MS Word, and know how to copy/paste, then you will have no problem with this job.  it doesn’t even matter if your grammar is perfect as it will go through a final edit before being posted.  

Also, if you have any history write-ups in your hard drive, please share them for the good of the club and future collectors.  

Please email me at mangodaytona@outlook.com if you’d like to volunteer for the Wiki project!   Please help the club by volunteering a little of your time! 

Thanks, Lane

Edited by Lane Shirey

• Jamie Horner pinned and featured this topic

For those who have volunteered, the following list is the manufacturers/ brands that have been completed or are in progress. If you are working on a brand, please let me know as soon as you start so there’s no duplication of effort. I will update this list as it changes  

Completed or in Progress-

Edison-Lieb

Walter Feltner

Vernco

Marelli

Eck

Dominion

Century( early history only)

LeJohn

Stellite

British Thomson Houston

GEC

Verity

Elektron Mfg

Backus

Hunter

GE

Racine

AEG- in process- Paul

Fidelity- in process -Nick

Made-Rite- in process-Will

Bersted- in process- Will

Edited by Lane Shirey
  • Thanks 1

• Lane Shirey changed the title to Need Volunteers to Gather Data for New Wikipedia + List of Completed Mfr Histories
On 11/20/2023 at 5:19 PM, Lane Shirey said:

For those who have volunteered, the following list is the manufacturers/ brands that have been completed or are in progress. If you are working on a brand, please let me know as soon as you start so there’s no duplication of effort. I will update this list as it changes  

Completed or in Progress-

Edison-Lieb

Walter Feltner

Vernco

Marelli

Eck

Dominion

Century( early history only)

LeJohn

Stellite

British Thomson Houston

GEC

Verity

Elektron Mfg

Backus

Hunter

GE

Racine

I don’t know if I can do much but I have some ilg pictures of fans and heaters by ilg. Plus some rare oddball ones. 

11 hours ago, Nicholas Denney said:

Didn't see this post before, has it been pinned the whole time? Fidelity for me as you know 

Fidelity is not being worked on. Feel free to type up a history and send it to me. Thanks!

Since I'm now compiling AEG information, and others I'm working on are 'taken,' —I'll do AEG. 
Will be sending out a request here soon for all owner's serial numbers/observations, etc.

Also - For consistency, it would be useful for you to issue a format/style guideline, so there is consistency across the makes' listings. Or has that been published/posted already somewhere?

pm

Hello Everyone,
Because of the constraints of having charts/tables on a phone and because we would like to make the fan wiki as responsive as possible to account for all sizes of viewing devices, the only information I need to add to a chart that will appear on each manufacturer's page is: the date the fan model was first produced, the model number (or type depending on how manufacturers differentiated their models) and a very short description of the fan (example: Pancake Motor).
The chart layout for all manufacturing pages will be very condensed, similar to the attached image. Once these manufacturer pages are completed, we can add a page for each specific model with detailed information on the models for which we have any extra information (such as wiring diagrams, exploded views, tips on repairs, original colors & configurations, etc.). Thanks to Lane and everyone for the work they've been completing on this. It will be an immensely important resource for current and future AFCA members.

image.thumb.png.d145c9bad1d9d36a37d8592ebe05ef03.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, Jamie! 

Paul, got you down for AEG. Nick for Fidelity.  

There are several bits of information we are looking for to go into the wiki.

1) The first is the company history of each brand,

2) The second thing is all known models for each brand.  Much like the lists of Emerson and GE model numbers and years that have been published in the past.

All of this is a huge undertaking, so if you can help in a small or large way, it would be appreciated.  Much of this info can be gathered from the old forum, but it needs to be collected so it can be placed in this centralized location.  Jamie and I only have limited time as we both have day jobs. 

Simple spreadsheets are good for the model number lists (Excel)  and a word document is good for the company histories. It doesn’t have to be fancy. If you get your info from prior posts, please attach a list of the members names who posted the info, so we can give proper credit.  All of that can be listed on the word docs.

Please email any contributions to me at mangodaytona@outlook.com. I’ll give it a basic edit for spelling and completeness then forward to Jamie to be entered into the Wiki.  

• Like 1

Thanks Lane! I've been focusing on pre-1920 AEGs, as in general, but I'll try to take the extra time to compile those models.... Hopefully there is no rush for all this! 😉

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Lane Shirey said:

Just checking in, anything to contribute yet? @Arjun Saini

@Paul Michael

Info wise I have found very little regarding some ilg products that nobody has ever seen or very few have. I’ve been getting a lot of pics of rarely see ilgs. Just need to find all the right catalog info and stuff for them. I got pictures as of right now. 

6 minutes ago, Arjun Saini said:

Info wise I have found very little regarding some ilg products that nobody has ever seen or very few have. I’ve been getting a lot of pics of rarely see ilgs. Just need to find all the right catalog info and stuff for them. I got pictures as of right now. 

Once I organize the info and gather them I’ll share it but who should I send it to. 

• 2 months later...

Since there have been no contributions from anyone in the club since I requested help in November, I'm going to suspend this effort from my side until we can get some helping hands.  

Unfortunately to be able to offer a resource like this, it can't rely on just one or 2 people when we have 700+ members.  It's just not possible unless people are willing to help.

Not to just offer to help, but to actually produce some deliverables.