How do I fix this Vortalex issue?

David Kilnapp

Hello friends. I'm stumped. My cousin brought me his Vortalex which has a problem. The hole that the winged bolt screws into (on the neck) is nearly stripped of threads. The winged bolt is also nearly threadbare. See pictures below.

IMG_4510.thumb.JPG.d0ffa28baffdaadc38ead06a4368b5d4.JPG

IMG_4512.thumb.JPG.be9e45d2756a9d61e54ac7dc4b37871e.JPG

IMG_4511.thumb.JPG.167a6b851e5184abd266c4a1696ed667.JPG

Is there a fix that doesn't involve replacing the neck piece? I was thinking that maybe there is a sleeve that I could slip tightly into the hole and then use a smaller wing bolt? Suggestions?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I found a thread repair kit for short money on Amazon. But that still leaves me needing to find the right wing bolt that will work with the new threads. Might be less fuss and cheaper all around to see if I can find a new neck with the right bolt.

That is fairly common. I usually drill them & retap to a larger size, then use a regular bolt. Otherwise you will need to follow Todd’s idea.

Try Chad Baker at AFP. I am sure he has that wing screw. IF you need to retap the hole, I have a brass screw Darryl made for me that would fit flush. I owe you a favor.  I need to figure out the thread size,  give me a while to check the thread size of the brass screw

It's a common color and and it's a common fan but it is perfectly suited for the bedroom. I took the fan to Ron Bethoney today (New England Brass Refinishing). He repaired it for me on the spot. He drilled out the hole, then used a tapered device to put threads into the white metal. Finally, he screwed in the heli-coil. The last thing he did was provide a smaller wing nut - he can do it all - and I walked out with a perfectly repaired fan.

IMG_4519.thumb.JPG.c67889f434edbb175487642f79fd92e0.JPG

It's good to have friends like Ron (and his kind wife, and two sons also).

• Like 1