Superlectric motor noise

Greg Calmly

This is my 77 Superlectric 2083. The motor it has is said to be made by superlectric themselves.

In this video clip below, I start the fan on High and then Low, to show that those speeds ARE NOT the problem.

(the rattling on high is the handle wiggling which is why I hold onto it in the video.)

This issue is, on medium, there seems to be a really odd grinding noise or some sort of bearing problem.

When I had cleaned the bushings out, the sound had stopped for a few days but it is now back.

It may be oil related but the fan was like that before I restored it and before I cleaned the bushings.

Yes it has a plastic motor, but it is VERY different from the ones in a Lasko. The internals are much higher quality than expected.

Any help is appreciated! ❤️

image.png.4a2eedeb0822ee1632e20a9850c556f9.pngimage.png.d96e09ebf0776f2d274a673750c34ac1.png

Perhaps you need to replace the fiber washers for the rotor? I know on my 1960s vintage Eskimo Box fan it does a very similar thing where it makes a grinding/thrusting noise on Low or High but is fine on Medium and its because the fiber washers for spacing the rotor inside the stator properly have deteriorated and I've not gotten around to replacing them yet. 

THAT IS A GOOD SUGGESTION. BEING THAT THE MOTOR NOISE WENT AWAY AND CAME BACK IT MIGHT BE THE OIL ABSORBED IN TO A DRY BUSHING AND IT NEEDS TO BE RE OILED . THESE ARENT ROBUST AS A MOTOR WITH OIL PORTS WOULD BE AND SOMETIMES A SILICONE TYPLE OIL ADDITIVE WAS PUT IN THERE. I ALWAYS DEFAULT TO A GOOD MOTOR OIL AFTER SOME SPINS WITH MARVEL MYSTERY OIL. SOMETIMES DIFFERETN SPEEDS PUT A FLOATING SHAFT IN A DIFFERENT PLACE ON THE BUSHING AND THERE MIGHT BE WEAR. YOU CAN TRY THE FIBER WASHERS 

What's weird is the fan doesn't even use fiber washers, it has a bunch of thin thrust washers but the shaft really doesn't move back and forth. It seems to me the location of where the shaft lies is consistent, furthermore secure and doesn't have any play. If it was the washers (which I doubt) it doesn't explain the reappearance of the sound after it got 'fixed.' 

The thing with Marvel, I noticed, it seems to drag the spindown really short, and if I put any 3 in 1 or zoomspout with the marvel still present, it goes dry really fast. I think the Marvel penetrates the other oils and kind of cancels them out. I can agree with the fan being dry but what doesn't make sense is where is the oil going? I had the fan for a month now, still unused yet and I had to oil it 3 times with the 3 in 1.

The thickness of the 3 in 1 shouldn't be an issue as this has never happened before with other motors or fans for the most part. (unless it was zoomspout in which the oil doesnt last that long)

Im in NY in Albany area and I believe your in New Jersey so probably wont work.

As far as the fan goes I don't know if running medium for longer would make the sound go away or make it louder but it probably isn't worth risking

• 3 weeks later...