Emerson 26646 4 Wire Stator

Bryan Eshenbaugh

I am working on an Emerson 26646 with a 4 Wire Stator. I paid $10 for the fan and thought I might learn something in the process. The fan has a switch from a 24646. The stator has continuity between two wires but not the other two. I did not see any breaks in the windings. I get continuity readings between 3 of the 4 coils. I am thinking about taking the suspect coil out to get a better look? Any advice or helpful info would be appreciated.  UPDATE: Found the break. Top inside run of smallest coil. 👍

IMG_7082.jpeg

IMG_7543.jpeg

IMG_7544.jpeg

IMG_7202.jpeg

IMG_7549.jpeg

Edited by Bryan Eshenbaugh
Photo added

4 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Your stator windings do not look good. Your switch lamination stack appears tall which would give me the impression it belonged to a 16" Emerson fan. 

Thanks Russ. If nothing else , I got to see how the windings are assembled in the stator. I do have continuity across the 4 wires now. I will see if I can get the windings back in and go from there. The ceramic on the switch is marked 24646 but may be from a 16in. Fan. I have removed short switches from 16in. Fans. I am sure Pre-internet repairs was often getting whatever switch your cousin could spare. Haha! I have a working 26646 that I will take readings off of …if I get to that point. Thank you for taking time to respond. 👍

32 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

If what is see is a lot of bare copper windings, I wouldn't waste your time with that stator. The windings will short.

IMG_7543.thumb.jpeg.41e7440ee3f786e0d9d5f1e07eaa7a74.jpeg

I will always revarnish a stator but I think they are ok. I had to scrape the varnish off the break to get an ohm reading. That part of the windings are newer than the black windings. Someone did a shade tree rewind at some point. Who knows might go poof? Then I get to try winding coils. I always have liked a challenge and learning new things anyway. 👍

23 minutes ago, Bryan Eshenbaugh said:

I will always revarnish a stator but I think they are ok. I had to scrape the varnish off the break to get an ohm reading. That part of the windings are newer than the black windings. Someone did a shade tree rewind at some point. Who knows might go poof? Then I get to try winding coils. I always have liked a challenge and learning new things anyway. 👍

Those windings are roached. Wind some new coils.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 12:42 PM, Russ Huber said:

If what is see is a lot of bare copper windings, I wouldn't waste your time with that stator. The windings will short.

IMG_7543.thumb.jpeg.41e7440ee3f786e0d9d5f1e07eaa7a74.jpeg

Well,  The Verdict is in and you were Correct Sir. I did get to see how difficult it is to put windings back in a stator. Hats off to those who do rewinds. The fan ran for 10-15 seconds, amps increased and end of story. I will find a replacement stator and compatible switch but not in a rush. It was a good learning experience for me. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. 

I don't mean to pour salt on the wound, but that guard appears to be a bit challenged. You could just lick your wounds and part it out, definitely worth $10.00 for parts gained.

IMG_7082.thumb.jpeg.36736565d39db0cfe6df9b20d982e156.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

I don't mean to pour salt on the wound, but that guard appears to be a bit challenged. You could just lick your wounds and part it out, definitely worth $10.00 for parts gained.

IMG_7082.thumb.jpeg.36736565d39db0cfe6df9b20d982e156.jpeg

For sure. I know that the parts can be used down the road. Thanks Russ.

1 hour ago, Lane Shirey said:

At least there are 2 good grommets! 

Yea, looks pretty sad. The ceramic switch is out of a 24646 and is good. The badge and wings cleaned up. But yes, very sad condition.