211139407_Floisonhertoes.thumb.jpg.bf6d2b33e707143ae5c63e0aae84373f.jpg

4:00 AM,...  home at last.

Maybe...   she'll unlock
the door...  and you won't
have to sleep it off in the
dog house?

Edited by Jim Kovar
  • Like 1

Always wanted to drain out my used beer into the trough by the foot rail. Saw an old bar in Wyoming that had a trough.  

After all, there was a reason that they didn’t permit ladies at the bar back then.   😊

Musta been quite a sight to walk into a bar to find patrons relieving themselves. 

19 minutes ago, Lane Shirey said:

Always wanted to drain out my used beer into the trough by the foot rail. Saw an old bar in Wyoming that had a trough.

Standard fare in Nebraska...

Ericksons-Saloon-1024x724.jpg.97ebb464e54ff4b684f0f3c56e911dee.jpg

trough-1024x518.thumb.jpg.72b0bee023fa446d4bffaea14d8837a3.jpg

2 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

Yep, there ya go!

Yes, there ya "go,"... *
      right into the trough!

*  Number one only,...
                  absolutely no deuce dropping!

• Haha 1

A Lesson in Tavern History – the Fresh Flow Trough Spittoon (kegworks.com)

I recently learned that way back when, (pre-Prohibition) bars used to have spittoons. Sometime during the turn-of-the-century constant flow trough spittoons were introduced. These gutter-like troughs ran the length of the entire bar and fresh water rushed through them to wash away waste to an awaiting drain.

You may be wondering why on earth a tavern would need a trough with a drain right in front of the bar. Lucky for you, I know the answer.

According to Forgotten Buffalo (a really cool organization that tours unique landmarks, old neighborhoods and a lot of taverns) "The neighborhood tavern was not the cleanest business on the block. It was a time of heavy, working-class drinking. Men would often bring the smell of industry with them for a 'quick one' before heading home. Horse manure from city streets often found its way on to men's boots. The chewing of tobacco created noxious spit which ended up on the floor, the bar and the walls."

These trough spittoons were designed from tile, sheet metal or in a few cases, marble. They were made for tobacco but according to countless stories, patrons saw them as an opportunity as relieve themselves right at the bar - and they did.

5 minutes ago, Lane Shirey said:

Russ, that’s cool! 

It appears the troughs were initially intended to eliminate the spittoons and the maintenance and mess that surrounds them. But after a few whiskey straights get dumped down the hatch with beer wash, one tends to lose their inhibitions and open the hatch and drain the weasel. One does it, no one complains, so why can't I. And so on and so forth. Fact Jack. My bet back then is premature death from cirrhosis of the liver was not uncommon. 

I must say I have learned lots from this post.    In addition to seeing many great fans I now know that bars had troughs that had many handy uses for the patrons.   One can learn so much from our forums.  

Great post guys, thanks for putting this one up. 

• Thanks 1

I was wondering why the white towels were hanging from the front of many of these bars. Does the practice have anything to do with the "urinals"?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 4:35 PM, Russ Huber said:

...one tends to lose their inhibitions... One does it...  ...why can't I?

No way!,...  ain't going to
  go to the outhouse.  Pissed.gif.7634bed3f438f7075a43a4b5e9e35f41.gif

Don't want to lose my
   place at the bar!  Thumbup.gif.5b534f50f94a0cc11b736b36fb4ee117.gif

• Haha 1