Need Help to Identify Fan Terminology! Please Offer to Assist...(again)!

Lane Shirey

As I'm sure you can tell, there's a lot going on behind the scenes to make the new website more usable and valuable to our new members and collectors.  

Another part we're working on is the Glossary of Fan Terminology.  This will be added to the Reference area in the Wiki.

I started with a list that originally was created by one of our charter members (unfortunately the list wasn't credited) and added to it from my brain.  I also edited some of the definitions to update them.  BUT...

I'm sure I've missed a number of terms that would be useful.  

So, I'm asking both experienced collectors and new members to look over the list to see what is missing or inaccurate.  I'm not looking for minor edits, but rather inaccuracies or missing terms.

New members:  Please look for terms that are missing that you've had to research to figure out what they were.  For example, when I started, it took me a few years to know what a "2 star GE" was.  

Experienced members: Please look for inaccuracies, and missing terms.  Please approach the list through the eyes of a brand new collector.  

The current list is below.  If you think of things, please post the term on this thread and add a definition to the best of your ability. 

Thanks in advance for your help!!

2023-11-30_09-01-24.png

2023-11-30_09-02-04.png

2023-11-30_09-02-36.png

2023-11-30_09-03-00.png

2023-11-30_09-04-02.png

2023-11-30_09-04-16.png

• Like 2

• Jamie Horner pinned and featured this topic

A couple corrections on the list:

GE Whiz fans - the correct blade diameter is 9"

Flag Tag - The flag that appears on R&M fans is not an American flag. It was meant to symbolize R&M products. The "Open Flag" badge design was used on many pre-1920's R&M brass cages. It featured a thin stamped brass flag and tassels emblazoned with "The Standard, The Robbins & Meyers Co., Springfield, Ohio. U.S.A."  Post WW1, the company switched to badges featuring a painted image of the R&M flag or just a stylized R&M logo.  The company continued the flag theme into the late 1940's with their "Banner" line of fans.

Also there should be a listing for Micarta, since some non-fan folks confuse Westinghouse blades for wood, plastic, fiberglass - or even brass (because they don't pass the magnet test.)

Micarta - A sturdy, lightweight material commonly used for Westinghouse fan blades on many of their models thru the 1950's. Micarta was developed by George Westinghouse around 1910 and first appeared on Westinghouse fans after WW1. Micarta is a composite of linen, canvas or paper compressed in a phenolic resin.

Hope this is helpful!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Juan. Agreed and will make the changes and adds!! Hope you’re doing well! Missed you and Patty at the meet this year! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!  As far as Verity(s) I need to give that further research. I know the fan and ads show an “s”, according to a past article in the magazine, I think the actual company does not have an s. 

• 1 month later...

How about acronyms "BMY" and "SMY"?

I see you're mentioning part names and definitions. To make it easier, would you consider supplementing your glossary with a diagram/pictorial of fan parts? My go-to favourite for this has been the diagram here: https://marellifan.wordpress.com/2018/10/03/general-guidelines-for-identifying-original-marelli/

Edited by Martin Kowalski
  • Like 1

Hi Martin, you have a very good idea, but the lack of volunteers to help has reduced the ability to do any more than just the basics. 
Even those who have “volunteered” for the effort have not submitted anything to date. 
I unfortunately don’t have the time to handle the whole project since I have a day job,  and volunteers willing to work and produce results are needed to make this happen. 

On 12/12/2023 at 10:48 PM, Russ Huber said:

Ironclad refers to an encased motor housing. Typically DC. Paragon, Diehl, Lundell, etc.

As well as Edison, as
   in the original entry.

Screenshot_20240120-233109_Drive.thumb.jpg.e6f2f670023d24cc1990d3b196d04127.jpg

I plan to add all of the suggested corrections, thanks to everyone who was offered their experience so far! 

18 hours ago, John Trier said:

Skeletal 

Big Ugly (up for most creative term)

Refresh my memory- the Big Ugly is an ‘08, right? Or 07? 

3 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

Refresh my memory- the Big Ugly is an ‘08, right? Or 07? 

It’s the last pancake and I’d guess 07.  How can a pancake be ugly?  They figured it out. 

• 2 months later...

I'm closing this post.  I'll be adding the suggested changes and we'll consider the list complete as is.