PACKING INSTRUCTIONS TO GIVE A NON FAN PERSON?

Roger Borg

If a seller can't remove cage and blade, what suggestions do y'all have for minimizing the chances of damage?

Fan is 12" cast iron.

I would imagine the following:

Bubble between blade and cage.

Then bubble wrap entire fan, with hard foam around that tightly wrapped mass so there is zero movement of fan inside box.

Extra foam to support neck of fan at junction of motor and base.

Extra interior support of box inside at all corners / edges.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks...

35 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

I had one seller ship me a 16666. Arrived in perfect condition with 6 bed pillows encasing the fan. 

Was it shipped intact with cage and blade? Did it travel cross country or across town?

I've always been concerned about weight of motor head and how it can stress the neck.

But seems what is paramount is to ensure a cushioned but tight interior overall??

1 hour ago, Lawrence Smith said:

Extra packing, it is holiday season & volume is much heavier. Make sure it does not move inside the heavy duty box 

Yeah, not the best time to ship, but I have no control of timing unfortunately...

11 minutes ago, Roger Borg said:

Was it shipped intact with cage and blade? Did it travel cross country or across town?

I've always been concerned about weight of motor head and how it can stress the neck.

But seems what is paramount is to ensure a cushioned but tight interior overall??

From Arizona to Chicago. Fully assembled! And we all know how easily those bases get busted. Think FedEx was the carrier. 

And let's always keep in mind that packing peanuts are useless. Had a 27666 destroyed with a single layer of bubble wrap and peanuts as the "protection". Neck on the motor housing broken. Collar broken. Oscillator box, or what was left of it, was sticking through the bottom of the box. 🤦

I try to now tell others how I pack as many don't get the small details..   Here's an Emerson 21646 ready to drop into a well fitted new box then more packing and padding is placed in the various voids, over the top, etc.   In over 100 such fans packed I've not had any damage.  I ship almost exclusively by Fed Ex Ground.  Blade and cage is almost always left on the fan.

IMG_7933.JPG

If the motor is in a cast iron trunnion, you want that motor out of the trunnion for shipping. 

I gained large garbage size bags of heavy and thinner bubble wrap and foam padding from an electronics firm years ago. To ship the fan assembled, getting the fan centralized in the correct size box surrounded by bubble wrap under, over, and around, packing it tightly between the guard and fan stump is a major plus. The goal is to centralize and immobilize it in a box giving the fan adequate protection for when the shippers play basketball with it. I buy two of the same size box and slide inside the other to reinforce the box, if the single box is not hardy enough for a rough ride.

Emerson2.jpg

Bubblewrap.jpg

Emerson3.jpg

In the late 1990’s I bought a feather vane at a Kansas City auction for another club member.  I tried forever to get the blade off and couldn’t.  I refused to go crazy trying.  I built a wooden crate, bolted it down and padded with so much bubble wrap that I felt comfortable shipping.  Arrived safe and sound.  

11 hours ago, Paul Carmody said:

Here’s one I received from Chad Baker.There is no movement.The paper he uses is very dense yet light.The second divider is actually stapled in.

IMG_1723.jpeg

IMG_1724.jpeg

IMG_1725.jpeg

IMG_1726.jpeg

IMG_1727.jpeg

IMG_1728.jpeg

Chad Baker does a phonominal at packaging.

empty water bottles are excellent to use as packing in general.   They are soft and squishy but firm and if it takes a real shot the cap blows off and cushions the blow.   Maybe not for a $1000 fan but in general they are very good.   Tape them around the item so they stay in place.   I ship all kinds of stuff and use them frequently.

and they are dirt cheap.

Edited by Anthony Lindsey

On 11/30/2023 at 9:17 PM, Patrick Ray said:

And let's always keep in mind that packing peanuts are useless. Had a 27666 destroyed with a single layer of bubble wrap and peanuts as the "protection". Neck on the motor housing broken. Collar broken. Oscillator box, or what was left of it, was sticking through the bottom of the box. 🤦

In my past experience, If you take those shifting peanuts and stuff them in an otherwise useless plastic bag from WalMart etc.. and tie the bag off with the carrying loops, they cannot then shift, and become a useful free pillow or cushion that effectively helps fill voids in the shipping box. Loose peanuts behave kinda like quicksand toward a heavy cast iron fan, allowing gravity to have it's way.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Geoff Dunaway said:

In my past experience, If you take those shifting peanuts and stuff them in an otherwise useless plastic bag from WalMart etc.. and tie the bag off with the carrying loops, they cannot then shift, and become a useful free pillow or cushion that effectively helps fill voids in the shipping box. Loose peanuts behave kinda like quicksand toward a heavy cast iron fan, allowing gravity to have it's way.

It is good to read someone finding a positive approach to the use of packing peanuts. My last pleasant experience with them used in a package I received in past during the winter was trying to get them into the garbage. The air was dry and static electricity was giving the peanuts the special ability to go everywhere and stick to anything other than the inside of the kitchen garbage bag. I kind of said a few foul words as I recall.

• Haha 4