Emerson 79646-AQ Disassembly questions

John Landstrom

I’ve redone another 79646 before, but I don’t remember it being like this one.   
Where I am so far….

I have the blade off using the “top left gearbox screw” method.   Once the blade was off, as well as the gearbox, I slid the shaft out.   Now I’m confronted with getting the rotor out.   Don’t want to damage anything trying blindly.   Also have the piece with the oscillating arm off and wondering if the screw holding the arm is standard or reverse threaded. Again, don’t want to bust it turning it the wrong way.  

Please take a look and post up some solutions/advice.   Thanks .!

IMG_2023-12-02-103651.jpeg

IMG_2023-12-02-103700.jpeg

IMG_2023-12-02-103717.jpeg

IMG_2023-12-02-103617.jpeg

That weird looking piece in the front of the rotor is the retaining nut. I use a pair of channel locks to unscrew it. 

Thanks Stan.   Is it reverse threaded?

Same question for the shoulder screw for the oscillator arm…..and the oil feed pipe, bit of which are VERY tight.  Don’t know if the pipe is pressed in or threaded.  

Rotor retainer is right hand thread. Pretty sure oscillator at collar screw is left handed. I never remove the oil tube, but pressed in.

Stan-the-Man !    
Channel locks plus a quick twist and the rotor retainer spun right off.  Stater came out easily.  I did try the channel locks on the oil tube but when it didn’t budge I left well enough alone. 
I’ll try the shoulder screw tomorrow.  

Thanks again Stan.  Being able to touch base with an experienced person like yourself always proves invaluable.   Thanks again for responding and providing the info I needed to move forward with this project.   Now to finish the clean up and decide on a color scheme.   (I can feel one of the “Steve’s” here cringing at the thought…<grin>

Stan - and all else who may need to know…..

There are two shoulder screws holding the oscillator arm.

The one for the trumpet is left hand threaded.

However, the one that attaches to the center hub (the part that sets into the base and allows for tilting/turning) is standard right hand threads.  

GE designers probably did that just to confuse people !   

It’s fully disassembled and cleaned up now.  I just have to strip the paint of everything.   

3 minutes ago, John Landstrom said:

GE designers probably did that just to confuse people !   

Emerson poached some GE designers in these later days!??? 🤔🤣

Caught me Paul !

Meant to say Emerson, although I agree some of those GE designers may have migrated to the Emerson camp over time.