1918 12”:Menominee pot metal oscillator

Paul Carmody

Well I feel better about it now Geoff,Michael. Thanks!There is more area to pull forward..It needs rear shims and it pulls too far back and hits hard when oscillating ,also puts the rear oscillator gears out of sync.It runs very strong.

I appreciate the comments!  Good to hear from you Bobby .I hope you are doing well!

On 12/19/2023 at 12:52 AM, Paul Carmody said:

If you have ever followed any of my restorations ,if anything I am not consistent.Constantly looking for the better product with experimentation.You name the glue,epoxy,etc and I have probably tried it.When it comes to get what you pay for is true with this 3M.It is hard and bonds like nothing I have ever used.It is a bit thin and hardens relatively slow ,but when it does you better make sure you want it there.I believe with this ,like paint, proper prep is important.

There was no reason to leave the screws,only for support until the adhesive set on my support plate.I put thick nylon washers on each side between screw head and nut.I tried to keep adhesive away from screws ,but in case they set in,I could easily snip them off flush through the nylon.The counter sunk ones in the mounting surface I left and sealed them in.

IMG_1813.jpeg

IMG_1815.jpeg

Hi Paul, I'm late to this thread, but look up lords adhesive. We use it in the sign trade, and they make all sorts of formulations for different materials. High quality stuff...

• Like 1

I’d date that Menominee more like 1908. Mechanical oscillators didn’t come out that early.

4 hours ago, Steve Cunningham said:

I’d date that Menominee more like 1908. Mechanical oscillators didn’t come out that early.

The original 1892 plant burned to the ground Jan. of 05. They operated out of a shack in Marinette, WI. to some degree while the new plant was being constructed in Menominee. The new plant opened in 07.  The first Menominee desk fan advertised since the new plant opened in 07 was an 8"-tab foot AC/DC which went to market in 1910. 

In 1917 Menominee fan motor oscillating gear boxes were still constructed of cast iron. In 1918 Menominee announced in electrical trade for the first time the gear boxes would be constructed of die cast pot metal, along with other construction changes. In 1919 Menominee started using round tip blade wings. Not sure how many models got the round tip wings. 16" models for sure.

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

It’s all new to me.I’m starting to have more appreciation for it.I ran it all day yesterday.Good running fan with no heat whatsoever.Good speed separation.The brushes chatter and can really be heard from the big open case.Not unpleasant.It sounds like a sewing machine.All I’ve done so far is clean out the front oiler and area,new wick.It needs shims bad.It has a very strange speed control.When I tear it down I will start a new thread.I’m just learning as I go.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Carmody said:

The brushes chatter and can really be heard from the big open case. It needs shims bad.

If the armature has too much end play, the undressed commutator is shifting back and forth on the brushes. Once you center end play and doll the commutator with some fine wet dry or emery cloth, you may notice a change in how it sounds.

• Like 2