Looking for Specs on Westy Tank Speed Coil

Lane Shirey

Hello everyone, 

I have 2 12” Westinghouse Tanks with bad speed coils. Since they’re such a simple coil, I want to try my hand at a rewind. 

Does anybody have specs on the coils? Gauge size, number of turns, etc

Also, is there a difference between the 100-110v and 110-120v coils? And what is the difference? Coil gauge size/ Number of winds/ Number of laminates. 

I have noticed that some tanks have a few more laminates than others. I’m only looking for real data, not guesses.  
Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

This information is based on actual lamination count and metered ohm reading of a coil out of a 100-110 VAC box project Victor 12" tank.   

21 laminations, and the coil was metered at 5 ohms. I think that if you took a group of 5 tanks you would find roughly the same number of laminations and ohm reading. 

I think you would be safe between 4.5 to 5 ohms. Exceeding 5 ohms may risk slowing the fan down to engage the start windings during low speed operation.

5 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

Thanks Russ. Any chance you know what gauge magnet wire they use?

I think the Newcity and a number of other members use 26-gauge magnet wire on examples like the Emerson coils. I still haven't wound one.... yet. The tank coil is kind of a no brainer I would think. Just need to take the dimensions of the old coil, make a winding jig, just one single wind with no taps. 

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Well, I don’t want to go through the effort using the wrong wire, so I don’t want to guess. I know the Emersons use 26 awg but I don’t want to assume the tanks are the same. 

Anybody know for sure? 

19 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

Well, I don’t want to go through the effort using the wrong wire, so I don’t want to guess. I know the Emersons use 26 awg but I don’t want to assume the tanks are the same. 

Anybody know for sure? 

The wire will work, it is not the diameter of a pencil. Winding the coil beyond 5 ohms would not be wise. 

Lane I have a 12 inch Hawthorn and a 16 inch Dayton I've been working on. Both have 21 laminations and I test at 2.4-2.5 ohms. The wire diameter on both is consistent with 25 AWG. Measures in .045 and .044 mm range and .0179- .0180" range. Don't have the number of turns for you as the coils are both in decent shape. 17020567382663833608294150811994.thumb.jpg.8fa74c34d286afc46e4c862197455843.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:33 AM, Russ Huber said:

21 laminations, and the coil was metered at 5 ohms. 

I think you would be safe between 4.5 to 5 ohms. 

14 minutes ago, Trevor Andersen said:

Both have 21 laminations and I test at 2.4-2.5 ohms. 

What would be nice if others who have metered their tank coil ohm findings to share their findings. My Victor tank was functioning fine on both speeds prior to disassembly. Maybe there is a happy medium. 

• Like 1

Thanks Trevor, that helps. I’m curious how the voltage ranges on the tags affect the speed coil specs or stator design and construction. 

55 minutes ago, Lane Shirey said:

Thanks Trevor, that helps. I’m curious how the voltage ranges on the tags affect the speed coil specs or stator design and construction. 

Lane, I can't promise when, but I can try to pull a few here and measure for you too.

• Like 1

Well I just tested the Hawthorn for the first time. It runs on all the speeds fine but there is no difference in the speeds. The tag says 100-110v. Could it be because it is on 120v the speeds wont vary much? When I switch to the low speed almost nothing changes, my watts actually go up by 1-1.5. 

47 minutes ago, Dave Hoatson said:

I used to make new laminations for tank fans and still have the CAD file if anyone wants to make some. 
photo-2.thumb.jpeg.4ca38f94418cf26ea7d40530c66d8e29.jpeg

What metal did you use?

Trevor, the answer is yes. Put it in a variac and dial the volts down, you'll get a difference.

Edited by Michael Rathberger

44 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

Trevor, the answer is yes. Put it in a variac and dial the boilts down, you'll get a difference.

It's strange because my 12" R&M standard tank has two distinct speeds and it is 100-110v. I dont want to take it apart to test the speed coil though. 

Edited by Trevor Andersen

I ran it on a variac at voltages from 85-120 and the speed and numbers dont change on the kill a watt except for the watts going up by around 1 when the low speed is on. All I can think of doing that is if the speed coil is engaged on all speeds somehow by some exposed current. Cant find anything though and it was revarnished and wrapped. Does it matter which motor wire connects to which part on the switch or which speed coil wire? 

Edited by Trevor Andersen

Not to my knowledge. You could try to  swap switches between fans and see how the no change reacts then you would know if switch is problem...

2 hours ago, Trevor Andersen said:

It's strange because my 12" R&M standard tank has two distinct speeds and it is 100-110v. I don't want to take it apart to test the speed coil though. 

You don't have to take it apart. With fan unplugged, the switch in the off position, take your insulator cover off, touch one meter probe to where one coil wire is connected on the inline, the other meter probe in contact with the second low speed selection. That is where your second coil wire is connected. This should give you the coil ohms.

14_131558_270000000.jpg

Actually Russ you said that Newcity uses the 26 awg on Emersons. I appreciate your feedback, but that has nothing to do with a Tank. Please don’t act like I ignored your information.