Lake Houston fans

James Landry

Picked up 4 fans at Stan's last meet in October- 3 from Sophie (I believe. I have a terrible way with names, so forgive me if I'm wrong). She also told me to grab one from the "free table", which I did. All 3 belonged to former AFCA member Don Floyd. These are:

*8" Westinghouse oscillator with Micarta blades: early 30's- 2 of the wings are broken off close to the hub and I want this one for my personal fan, so will need to find another blade. Blade turns stiffly, but turns.

*10" Command Air oscillator with bakelite motor housing, cast iron teardrop base and a 6 wing stamped aluminum blade: late 30's/early 40's(?). Just finished this one up and let my sister try it out last night. She said high speed worked well, but was gently "surging" on low speed. It will be going back on the bench for diagnoses. This has a stripped oscillator gear which I completely removed. Will be posting soon for this item in the want ads. I only tested this fan for maybe 3 hours total (NOT like the 60+ hours of testing on the R&M before going into the house). I tried to preserve the 80+ year old paint as much as I could, but an exact color match was not possible this time around, however, it looks good. Going to start a thread about this one...

*12" GE, mid 30's non-oscillator: looks promising, but will be the last one up on the bench. 

Also picked up a 30's 10" K&M bullet/teardrop from Stan the Man, himself! This one is next up to bat!!!  :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paul Carmody said:

Those black GEs look good all fixed up.I have always liked the looks of the Command Airs.Looks like a clean fan.

Yes. I tried to preserve the paint on the Command Air-it was super scratched all over, rusty along the bottom and paint coming off the motor housing. Stripped the paint off the Bakelite housing completely- no cracks, no scratches & looks shiny and new, so I opted to keep the look without a repaint. They must not have scuffed the housing up at the factory- ZERO scratch marks on it! This baby is SOLID! Had special paint re-tinted EIGHT different times & attempted to blend- bottom looks great, but upper sections I decided to let it ride, until such time I get a new air brush and a closer match. Looks ok now, as is. Got lots of photos of the process and a nice new green cord. Making a thread of this one...  :)

James I have a blade with three good wings, one broken, if you want it.  You can drill out the rivets & put one of your blades on it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stan Adams said:

James I have a blade with three good wings, one broken, if you want it.  You can drill out the rivets & put one of your blades on it.

Interesting! I've spent well over 40 hours "straightening" the blades (probably closer to 60, lol, and equal to that time spent on the cage, also). They look like rippled potato chips, but seem to be close enough. The motor on this is extraordinary- after 4 hours of continuous oscillating 2 nights ago out in the 61 degree garage, I checked the temp- IT WAS RUNNING AT 63 1/2 DEGREES!!!! Could not distinguish motor housing temp from ambient temps!!! Never seen that on any small motor!!! When it was ~99° out there, temp was only 103°-105°!!!

Extremely impressive!!!

Think it's a-ok!!! And THANKS, once again!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paul Carmody said:

Those black GEs look good all fixed up.I have always liked the looks of the Command Airs.Looks like a clean fan.

What's the deal with the ORANGE GE tag? (Thought they were black)? Looks like I'll need a repop on that!...

The later GE fans transitioned to the red  tag.Im not too familiar with the later fans so I don’t know the exact year of transition.I believe mid to late 40s

Edited by Paul Carmody
  • Like 1