what a shame

Anthony Lindsey

55 minutes ago, Jim Henderson said:

Lollipop would have a square back ring,not round.

Jim...some of the earlier DC lollipops had round back instead of the square back.  The strut is obviously not correct.

16 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Jim...some of the earlier DC lollipops had round back instead of the square back.  The strut is obviously not correct.

But those earlier R&M lollipops did not use the flag badge and had a larger center open ring.   The depth of the guard is correct for the lollipop but I don't know why it has a round rear ring. 

9 minutes ago, Steve Stephens said:

But those earlier R&M lollipops did not use the flag badge and had a larger center open ring.   The depth of the guard is correct for the lollipop but I don't know why it has a round rear ring. 

Correct...the round back ring would not have the badge.  The strut holder also is not square but round to accommodate the ring.

In my opinion, that sounds like typical eBay seller made-up narrative used to  get people talking about their listing. There is no way to disprove it, it's highly unlikely he would have any way to know what the deceased owner would have done in the past, and it's something which he knows will upset fan enthusiasts. 

14 hours ago, David Allen said:

In my opinion, that sounds like typical eBay seller made-up narrative used to  get people talking about their listing. There is no way to disprove it, it's highly unlikely he would have any way to know what the deceased owner would have done in the past, and it's something which he knows will upset fan enthusiasts. 

Exactly. Like why would anyone care about that for sale purposes. Can you direct me to that dump and tell me how deep in the trash it is? No. OK then cool story bro who cares. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Trevor Andersen said:

Exactly. Like why would anyone care about that for sale purposes. Can you direct me to that dump and tell me how deep in the trash it is? No. OK then cool story bro who cares. 

He probably 'actually' found that cage somewhere very unromantic, such as laying by the side of the road leading to the dump yard. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Trevor Andersen said:

He's in Hendersonville, NC. How many dumps are there in that town, and how long do you want to dig? Give me full body PPE and a mini-excavator. I'm getting 7 free Lollipops. (In my dreams) 😁 

Edited by Louis Weedman
  • Haha 1

image.thumb.jpeg.9eb2c0e8817930997c552e5a228c0975.jpegThis sort of thing can happen.  Jerry Jewett (about 83 years old) is the grandson of the founder of this company out of Des Moines.  The company is now the Gilcrest Jewett lumber company.  Jerry was one of 3 partners and had a Jewett typewriter sitting in his office.  I’ve known Jerry over the years and one day told him about the eBay values of these machines and that they ranged from $600-$800 and that a #10 realized $2500 once.   He’s old, and at that moment he got real quiet, looked up and said, “I had hundreds of these typewriters ...... and took them all to the landfill”.   I asked him when, and he thought maybe about 1985.  He said he kept 2, the one on his desk and one at his home.  

11 hours ago, David Allen said:

He probably 'actually' found that cage somewhere very unromantic, such as laying by the side of the road leading to the dump yard. 

Bring a six pack...instant romance.

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2022 at 7:44 PM, John Trier said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9eb2c0e8817930997c552e5a228c0975.jpegThis sort of thing can happen.  Jerry Jewett (about 83 years old) is the grandson of the founder of this company out of Des Moines.  The company is now the Gilcrest Jewett lumber company.  Jerry was one of 3 partners and had a Jewett typewriter sitting in his office.  I’ve known Jerry over the years and one day told him about the eBay values of these machines and that they ranged from $600-$800 and that a #10 realized $2500 once.   He’s old, and at that moment he got real quiet, looked up and said, “I had hundreds of these typewriters ...... and took them all to the landfill”.   I asked him when, and he thought maybe about 1985.  He said he kept 2, the one on his desk and one at his home.  

Interesting. Didn't know they ever made typewriters. I was just in there looking for some irregular door hardware they found for me and bent it to shape. Some old companies around here that used to be into different industries decades ago. 

On 2/2/2022 at 5:48 PM, Louis Weedman said:

He's in Hendersonville, NC. How many dumps are there in that town, and how long do you want to dig? Give me full body PPE and a mini-excavator. I'm getting 7 free Lollipops. (In my dreams) 😁 

Haha. I'll help. But what we need is one of those old giant electromagnet cranes from a scrap yard and a bulldozer so we can just keep separating out the metal and pushing the other stuff out of the way as we go. 

Edited by Trevor Andersen
  • Haha 1

I wrote copy & was in advertising for 30+ Years, didn't care about the story but I did buy @ 62 bucks, I have a spare S wire, and the flags cost $40,it will complete a fan now.

I had a Lollipop & it had the same cage (Minus the flag), I put a square back version on it before selling. It may have come off a truck load of Lollipops!!

R&M Blade Brass.jpg

R&M Blade Brass2.jpg

Lollipop Togrther 1.jpg

R&M Pat G.jpg