Hunter C-17 Restoration Help

Jack Rottler

Hi I'm new to restoring antique fans and awhile back I got this Hunter C-17 Motor and I need some help restoring it 

I need blades and Irons and a Switch 

image1.jpg

image0.jpg

404876007_371795408658997_5129724248627751987_n.jpg

Lots of solutions for a switch. You can buy one of Derek Werneke's fantastic reproduction switches for the bottom. You can build something out of a standard plate and some standoff, or you can direct wire it to a speed control in the wall and find a single pole switch to fill the hole (what I typically do).

As far as blades, any Hunter Original 52" blades will fit that fan.

I would think that your best bet would be to see if you can find a set of blades that have a set of irons still attached to them.  I think the irons you are looking for should look like the one I have pictured below.  Unfortunately, I do not have a set of irons that I can provide you but, as common as these are, I would not think they would be that hard to find.

HunterCFArms2.jpg

Blade irons from the more modern Hunter Originals will fit. They are not cast like the originals, but when painted, few would know.

I remember finding some irons that were recastings of older antique Hunter Irons and I was told that the blade iron holes that attached to the motor were 1 1/16 Inches were apart 

But the distance on may fan was 2 inches between the two screws 

You need blades from the 4 blade models. The 5 blade models will not fit.

I have some recast blade brackets but you’d need to make or find blades to fit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I’ve been busy these last few weeks but I was just curious how much for those irons ? 

• 3 months later...

I still have several sets of these. They are cast in aluminum.

They are correct in size and scale, but the blade screws do not completely fit the antique Hunter blades without some adjustment.

As most of your switch, particularly the ceramic, seems intact I would attempt to restore it.  You can likely find switches on Ebay that have parts that can work with that.  It is a rather rare 3speed switch and to source another is usually expensive and difficult.  

On 4/16/2024 at 5:47 PM, Andrew Block said:

I still have several sets of these. They are cast in aluminum.

They are correct in size and scale, but the blade screws do not completely fit the antique Hunter blades without some adjustment.

How much for the irons 

On 4/17/2024 at 11:33 AM, Chris Jacobsen said:

As most of your switch, particularly the ceramic, seems intact I would attempt to restore it.  You can likely find switches on Ebay that have parts that can work with that.  It is a rather rare 3speed switch and to source another is usually expensive and difficult.  

It looks pretty beaten up to me and I had honestly planned on replacing it