Identify the Fan No. 21

Steve Rockwell

This was to be posted in the first grouping of photos months ago, but the snippet I selected at that time was so absurdly minuscule in order to even possibly challenge Russ Huber that I opted out of publication, it being unfair to many of us less knowledgable despite the high recognition factor the fan possesses...  I believe the full image may have been posted in the Old Forum... 

All Photos Courtesy of miSci      The Museum of Innovation and Science      Schenectady NY

image.png.21c3f3bb2a47c1f404c8cdd662576233.png

Edited by Steve Rockwell

Looks to be somewhat fine-gauge wire on that guard...

image.png.910e3a209af6c3c4a63136b9f7a0ed76.png

This is why none of these fans with ball bearings surfaced despite the fact they were only made in limited numbers. Once the bearings went dry/bad you needed ear plugs. 

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Roadt said:

Do we have an answer?

My guess Bartlett 

Strangely enough, you're on the right track the name "Bartlett" . Put in "Bartlett fan motor" into your Google search engine and push enter. Next go above and click on "Books".  When the page loads, click on the 1892 Electrical Engineer trade book. Your answer to the identity of the fan motor in question will be before your eyes. 

Edited by Russ Huber

38 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

1267042341_AFCA-1A.thumb.png.51c5ae030436d01d2bb43a59d036ff79.png.dc640291a802b9bbedbee677ed87549f.png

1892 introduction IC Lundell desk fan with ball bearings. Self-adjusting bearings were announced the following year.  Steve has shared a real treat. The chances of ever seeing a real one of these in the flesh is very very remote. 

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1