Westinghouse Mobilaire

Clay Carpenter

I'm a new member and am looking for some guidance on restoring a Westinghouse Mobilaire floor fan. The fan works fine but is extremely dirty and needs some extensive cleaning. From what I have been able to determine, the front and rear fan guards are pressed onto the shroud and I am looking for the best way to take them off to be able to clean the entire fan. Does anyone have experience in restoring one of these fans that could give me some tips on how to remove the fan guards without damaging them or the shroud? TIA 

The front guard pops on similar to an old school hubcap. So they’re easy to remove.

On the rear cage, the metal screen is held in with the rubber lip. It is very difficult to remove the rear screen, and sometimes in trying to do so, the rubber lip is destroyed.  And getting it back in is a bear. I’d avoid that if possible. Some have done it, but I’d not attempt unless the rubber is still very flexible. 

lane is correct the front grilles come off easy, the early mobilaires have a rubber ring around the rear, the later 1950s and up to the end in early 70s do not. i have restore a bunch and getting the rear grille back in is time consuming...easier without the rubber, hard with . It depends on the generation