Early Xmas Present R & M List 2800 6 inch fan Rare

Cam Kuruliak

Merry Xmas to all

Well I finally found one on FB so I jumped at the chance to get it. Thanks to Steven Dempsey who gave me a little advice on it. I have been wanting one for sometime & they rarely come up for sale. I have a little bit of work to do on it Seems it hums but will not rotate  I picked up an Trojan with the same problem still have not gotten it going yet, Anyway time to enjoy it

Cameron

1.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by Cam Kuruliak
  • Like 4

• Cam Kuruliak changed the title to Early Xmas Present R & M List 2800 6 inch fan Rare
4 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

You see few of the 6" fans other than cubs and GE's. As far as I know it's one of two brass/brass. 

Are there many/any steel guard 2800 models? 

12 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

I want to say I sold a 6" brass/ steel R&M in St.Louis back in the day. 

Manufacturers were starting the use of steel guards in 17. R&M was using steel in guards for sure in 18. What I am not sure about is were they using brass guards on certain models still in 18.

32 minutes ago, Anthony Lindsey said:

The 6" has a separate AC and DC position on the slide switch.   Don't know if any other RMs had that.

20221110_080915.jpg

The DC position has nichrome wire in series to slow it down a tad operating on direct current. The fan would run faster on DC same voltage as opposed to when it was operating on same voltage AC current.

Yes, in 1920 R&M brought out the 8" List 3500 with universal motor with separate AC-DC operating positions. 

3500f.jpg

fans 1 5740.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2

I bought mine from an ex AFCA member He said he is going to sell his collection in the future I told him to contact AFCA community before he goes public with his collection 

Cam

2 hours ago, Steve Cunningham said:

These came as the 2800 and 2801 models. I think the 2801 switch was “AC DC”.

I deleted a post of mine above on this thread as I was in error.  In fact, the 6" model list 2800 was on the market for only 2 seasons of 1916-17. In 1918 R&M introduced an 8" model list 28. 

Is the list 2801 Steve mentions above in fact an 8" model, or 6"?  The 8" model list 28 was introduced the following year in 17 after the 6" model. They shared the market in 1917 and the 6" model was removed from the R&M fan motor line in 1918 obviously based on market favoritism for the 8" AC/DC list 28.

R&M16-2.png

R&M17.png

R&M18.png

R&M16.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2

We had a discussion on these little guys on the old site.  It also came in a 2806 32v. direct current.  These would look killer if they had the little banner badge on them.  

IMG_5442.jpeg

IMG_5440.jpeg

IMG_5439.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting that Russ.  

Just acquired a 3000 non-oscillating, and a 3800 oscillating model.   Both have 9” blades if that’s correct.  Don’t know.  Can’t find a lot (or any) info online with the exception of references to the old site.  Nice but you can’t follow the links from that site for more.   
Any more info on these models is greatly appreciated.

I also have to ping Darryl again.   This time to rebuild the brushes.  

In case anyone has one, I need a 10” brass cage and the four cage struts for the 3800.   Any help is appreciated.  I do have a 9” cage in great shape to trade if that helps.   

Edited by John Landstrom

4 hours ago, John Landstrom said:

Thanks for posting that Russ.  

Just acquired a 3000 non-oscillating, and a 3800 oscillating model.   Both have 9” blades if that’s correct.  Don’t know.  Can’t find a lot (or any) info online with the exception of references to the old site.  Nice but you can’t follow the links from that site for more.   
Any more info on these models is greatly appreciated.

I also have to ping Darryl again.   This time to rebuild the brushes.  

In case anyone has one, I need a 10” brass cage and the four cage struts for the 3800.   Any help is appreciated.  I do have a 9” cage in great shape to trade if that helps.   

Are you sure a list 3800 would have a brass guard?  The first image dates 21. 

1921.png

1925.png

1926.jpg

1926-2.png

Edited by Russ Huber

Russ, 

Im not at all familiar with these fans so “No” I’m not sure I’d the correct cage is brass or steel.  The blade I have is brass, 9”.  

Most likely I’ll be posting up more questions in a separate post.   I don’t want to hijack this thread anymore than I have.