Here’s a unique fan! What is it?

Lane Shirey

I picked this fan up a few weeks ago at the local flea market. Yes, I know the base is fabricated, but what’s the rest?

To me, the fan looks like it was originally mounted by the cage, given the heavy gauge steel- maybe a transformer fan? It has a Signal motor, but most of the other motor data was sanded off when it was painted one of its 5 prior colors. Green, yellow, blue, black and a different green. 

Another clue is that it was originally black, but seems to have been painted OD Green over the black, leading me to believe it was military issue for some purpose.  

It will get a restoration far beyond what it deserves, but I think it’s cool. I plan to restore it to its OD green , but it’ll be automotive paint and the brass hardware will be polished. It actually runs very smoothly and quietly on its one speed . 

Any guesses to its origin? 

IMG_0950.jpeg

IMG_0951.jpeg

IMG_0952.jpeg

IMG_0953.jpeg

IMG_0956.jpeg

IMG_0961.jpeg

What a checkered past! From motor pic, it looks like the paint was originally Black, then >white >blue> olive drab >forest green!

And looky looky looky how (presumably) he cut out that steel base!!! 🤔🙌🏼

He done Frank Enphann proud! 😜

Edited by Paul Michael

17 hours ago, Paul Michael said:

What a checkered past! From motor pic, it looks like the paint was originally Black, then >white >blue> olive drab >forest green!

And looky looky looky how (presumably) he cut out that steel base!!! 🤔🙌🏼

He done Frank Enphann proud! 😜

Actually, black,OD Green, yellow, black again then forest green. Oh, and I came across some blue.  And at some point the blade was pale green. 

• Haha 1

That's an interesting one!  I hate to comment when I am not totally sure.... and I was sure but I cannot find the picture I have seen before. So I am not totally sure anymore... but will comment anyway.

The picture I was looking for showed an identical fan cage, blade, and motor as part of a steam coil unit heater. There was only one cage, supporting the motor. It had the strap around the motor, but no pole or base. The strap was tightened around the motor and then supported by the cage attached to the heater. 

The fact that there are two identical cage halves, used together, could indicate that someone found some scrapped heaters and salvaged an assortment of fan parts to build up this fan from the remains of more than one heater. As for the base, it could have been anything, including a drop from cutting a round hole in a steel sheet for some other fabrication work. 

Just my two cents worth. Regardless, it's a neat fan!

Sincerely,
David 

• Like 1

David, I tend to agree with your assessment, or it’s at least a possibility. Since it was painted OD green after the original black, maybe the fabricator salvaged parts off of old military boilers? 

It has a brutalist flair for sure. The base was fabricated and appears to be flame cut out of heavy plate.