GE Pancake I acquired, have questions

David Boshoven

I got this fan from an auction in as-is condition, non-working. I cleaned it up inside and out, got it working through the leads in the back of the hub. The base needs to be rewired and I plan to do that on a later date. (A little about the fan materials) The cage and blades are somewhat of a mystery to me from what's original and what's not. As in if the fan cage was originally painted on top of aluminum was brass/ copper? (Cage) The cage is aluminum, the first layer of paint is copper with an over coat layer of brass. (Blades) The blades are solid brass with a overcoat of copper paint. (Badge) The badge seems to be brass with an over coat of copper. 

I have the original badge but it was snapped in half and missing a small piece thus information missing, before I got the fan. I am trying to figure out the serial number and ID. I believe the last number is a 1 of the serial number but I am not 100 percent positive and would like your opinion on the last digit of the serial number shown in the picture. I believe this model to be a 1908 Trunnion Mount Pancake. The blades are 16 inches. In the fan base there is a speed rheostat. Any information about this particular model of fan would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I am currently 60% finished with the restoration project. I plan to keep it original as much as I can. But with new wires/cords. For clarification, the last picture is showing the cage material up close with the main inner material being aluminum. (Not magnetic).

20231228_224649.jpg

20231228_222512.jpg

20231228_222955.jpg

IMG_20231228_030022~2.jpg

IMG_20231228_231707.jpg

• Like 1

"I am trying to figure out the serial number and ID. I believe the last number is a 1 of the serial number but I am not 100 percent positive and would like your opinion on the last digit of the serial number shown in the picture."

The tag is missing a large section.Your surmise about the final digit being "one" is assuredly correct.

image.thumb.png.8bb8d45f13d797d131522d257c000431.png

image.thumb.png.aca12e205b85d02513307f903f87c567.png

https://new.afcaforum.com/index.php?/topic/592-general-electric-bulletins-instruction-sheets-price-lists-catalogs-1895-1952/#comment-3705

• Like 1

16" GE pancakes had front and rear bearings and oilers while 12" pancakes had a front bearing only.  The last pancakes were made in 1908.

Edited by Bob Peshoff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 11:27 PM, David Boshoven said:

IMG_20231228_030022~2.jpg

I'd recommend having a repro motor tagged stamped with the 313331 serial number, but keep those two pieces attacked to/inside fan.