Tips for spray-painting blade cages?

Hannah Dannehy

It seems like there might be a somewhat different technique for wire cages than one might use for solid parts like the base. I'd love to get some advice before I do this myself.

1 hour ago, Lane Shirey said:

Same process. Prep and paint. 

Is there a trick or a knack to getting even coverage on all sides of the wires? I don't want it to be very obvious which side faced up when I was painting it.

I typically start with the cage face down. Spray from multiple angles going completely across the cage. Flip it over and repeat. I do it relatively quickly as to not let the paint dry so when you spray the face, the paint melts into the previously sprayed bits and you don't see the over spray dusting. If spraying black, I like Rustoleum tractor enamel as it's slow drying and really durable when cured. 

11 hours ago, Hannah Dannehy said:

Is there a trick or a knack to getting even coverage on all sides of the wires? I don't want it to be very obvious which side faced up when I was painting it.

Hang the cage on a hook so you can hold it in your hands and swivel it from front to rear without touching it.  I use a bent coat hanger. Work fast so the paint on the one side doesn’t start drying before you paint the other side. 

For the second coat, I swap the hook to the other end of the cage so you don’t miss any angles. 

• Like 3

I can get a 16" wire cage powdercoated well for less than $10.00 here locally & that's becoming a favorite option for me

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Geoff Dunaway said:

I can get a 16" wire cage powder coated well for less than $10.00 here locally & that's becoming a favorite option for me

I will second that big time. I do the same with all steel guards. The gloss black powder blends in well with original gloss black enamel on the older fans. 

You can dump half a can of rattle can paint doing a guard, and most of the half can goes into the air. 🙂

• Like 1

I use an old turntable with a 16rpm setting. $20 and pretty easy to locate. Works well for most parts.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 10:20 AM, Geoff Dunaway said:

I can get a 16" wire cage powdercoated well for less than $10.00 here locally & that's becoming a favorite option for me

Wish I'd seen that before I spraypainted that! I always thought powdercoating was a dreadful expense.

• Like 2