Where can I get an odd wick size

Alex Koh

I have a Robbins Myers fan that needs the wick material replaced. However it measures at an odd size and I couldn't find a supplier that supports the size I need. The hole measuers about 5/16in diameter. Any thoughts on what I can do?
IMG_4410.thumb.jpg.18cbbc3699666b2bb5b1f5baf03ac238.jpgIMG_4409.thumb.jpg.325dba9263f80f8c12c8276c33d73bfa.jpg

1 hour ago, Alex Koh said:

The page mentions about different density types for the wicks. Is the F-1 the type I should be using?

Actually over looked that. You dont want the firm density and in 3/8” only option. Sorry about that

55 minutes ago, Chris Campbell said:

Actually over looked that. You dont want the firm density and in 3/8” only option. Sorry about that

Does the density affect the fan drastically if I use the F-1 density? I assumed it was F-1 since antique fan parts supplies only that density. I just want to check to be sure.

57 minutes ago, Alex Koh said:

Does the density affect the fan drastically if I use the F-1 density? I assumed it was F-1 since antique fan parts supplies only that density. I just want to check to be sure.

Ironically DuroFelt is close to my house and met the lady to pick up in person. The hard felt she had was not ideal. 

45 minutes ago, Chris Campbell said:

Ironically DuroFelt is close to my house and met the lady to pick up in person. The hard felt she had was not ideal. 

Any thoughts on how these wicks are made? Is it some kind of boring tool they run through a block of felt or do they roll them directly from the raw textile? 

2 hours ago, Trevor Andersen said:

Any thoughts on how these wicks are made? Is it some kind of boring tool they run through a block of felt or do they roll them directly from the raw textile? 

She imports the felt. Nothing made locally. 

F1 graded felt is the most durable and dense industrial felt available. It absorbs and retains low-viscosity oils and is suitable for applications exposed to continual abrasion, friction, impact, or pressure. Typical uses include door bumpers, washers, wicks, and polishing blocks.

The killer for a rotor/armature shaft is how much excessive pressure is behind the wick pressing it against the shaft. 

18 minutes ago, Chris Campbell said:

Excessive pressure = hardness

Excessive pressure = Pressure. Your wick needs just enough length to lube the shaft/bearing without bottoming out the spring.

5EAF7A6C-5822-4E14-BCD0-AA5B5822843A.thumb.jpeg.d983af68a27d3c22d9b52604f9a637ba.jpeg

Vintage Fan Wick supplies (vintagewireandsupply.com)    F1 felt in white.

" Its high density and high quality provides wear and abrasion resistance when used for polishing, wicking, cushioning, wiping, and gasketing."

McMaster-Carr     F1-F3 Felt in white.

"This firm felt provides wear resistance when used for polishing, wicking, cushioning, wiping, and gasketing."

Duro-Felt Products (durofelt.com)

1/8", 3/16" felt wick offered in F-5 MEDIUM density. 1/4" F-7 density.  3/8" F1 high density.

Edited by Russ Huber

12 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

" Its high density and high quality provides wear and abrasion resistance when used for polishing, wicking, cushioning, wiping, and gasketing."

"This firm felt provides wear resistance when used for polishing, wicking, cushioning, wiping, and gasketing."

1/8", 3/16" felt wick offered in F-5 MEDIUM density. 1/4" F-7 density.  3/8" F1 high density.

Industrial Felt for Resilient Padding
SAE F-5 Felt is a heavy-duty 95% wool industrial felt. Slightly less dense than harder F-1 and F-3 felts, F-5 is an ideal felt for floor mats, seat pads, and other applications that require solid cushioning. Its other applications include dust shields, wipers, grease retainer washers, wicks, and vibration mountings.

On 1/4/2024 at 7:06 PM, Chris Campbell said:

Ill check around on Alibaba then lol

On 1/4/2024 at 11:39 PM, Russ Huber said:

I wouldn't get your undies in a bunch over the wool densities seen above. As you can see in the suppliers above that you have been purchasing from the use of high density F1 wicking. As long as it transfers and holds oil, it is doing its job. You just want to make sure the wick is just seated on the rotor/armature shaft at correct length under factory spring pressure. 

A number of fans back then ran around the clock 24/7. If the wick was seated on the shaft improperly with too much pressure, over the years of frequent operation the groove you see in this shaft, or worse will be the outcome. 

56407E4A-A57A-4E41-8F93-35E1050A1F1E.thumb.jpeg.dd238eab9c922c0d2a180652a0a05601.jpeg

• Thanks 1

All that being said, the McMaster Carr felt is all I use and works perfectly and closely resembles the density of a “cleaned” original wick. 

On 1/4/2024 at 7:06 PM, Chris Campbell said:

I researched this a bit more. Apparently there is a whole crafting area called wet felting. You need raw wool fibers and other simple materials and can roll ropes of it. I don't know how the density is increased yet. I'm guessing you can add wool and keep re-rolling it and compressing it until you get something close to F1 felt. I don't know that I have the motivation to try it. I need to hang out at the fabric stores hoping there's a felter that will come by haha. My late great grandma was one but it is hard to find a milliner these days. 

If you have an odd sized wick, just use the method I use for the small Vortalex and Whiz wicks. 

Go to a hobby shop and buy a length of brass tubing with the INSIDE diameter of the wick you want. Them buy a thick sheet or block of felt. Cut a 3” piece of tubing and bevel the outside of one end of the tubing with a grinder. Then add some serrations with a file. 

Chuck it in your drill and bore it into the block of felt.  The piece inside of the tube is your new wick. Works like a charm.  

• Like 1