How does the pole spring attach?

Vic Valencheck

I'm restoring a GE FM12M11 pedestal fan. The ends of the spring  have no loops where it would be attached. Is the cord supposed to wrap around the spring like a Vornado?

20240105_143735.thumb.jpg.f41be9cce006ccc4387390751e11b50c.jpg

I did a 16” GE pedestal last spring. That long spring didn’t attach as I recall. 

I cleaned about 50% of that shield with a wire wheel, until it caught and mangled the spring. I used about 50% spring then and 50% friction tape on the rest. Because of the size and weight of my fan, it was difficult to rewire, and my switch was a double deck switch, adding to the fun. 

However, I really like the finished product 👌

13 minutes ago, Vic Valencheck said:

Is the cord supposed to wrap around the spring like a Vornado?

The spring protects the cord when extending and retracting. The cord goes IN the spring. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malcolm MacGregor said:

I did a 16” GE pedestal last spring. That long spring didn’t attach as I recall. 

I cleaned about 50% of that shield with a wire wheel, until it caught and mangled the spring. I used about 50% spring then and 50% friction tape on the rest. Because of the size and weight of my fan, it was difficult to rewire, and my switch was a double deck switch, adding to the fun. 

However, I really like the finished product 👌

I also used my wire wheel to clean up the spring. Luckily I had no issues. 😁

4 minutes ago, Vic Valencheck said:

I was wondering how there would be enough wire if the pole was extended. 

I am sorry Vic, I restored one well over a decade ago. I remember dealing with that spring and was not very thrilled about it. But I could have sworn the wire was inside the spring. Common sense is the cord between the switch and fan head has to be long enough for full extension. I would assume the additional wire needed for extension must rest into the base above the switch when the pole is brought down. 

4 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

I am sorry Vic, I restored one well over a decade ago. I remember dealing with that spring and was not very thrilled about it. But I could have sworn the wire was inside the spring. Common sense is the cord between the switch and fan head has to be long enough for full extension. I would assume the additional wire needed for extension must rest into the base above the switch when the pole is brought down. 

That makes sense, thanks Russ 

I found it on a flash drive. That's factory paint. The good ole days before everyone and their mother was picking them up and pricing them through the roof.  Just went through it thoroughly with new wire. My ex found it for me at an auction local for $40.00. 

I thought I may have some pictures disassembled, sorry, but no.  I am sure you'll do yours justice. 🙂

GEVortPedComp1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Russ Huber said:

I found it on a flash drive. That's factory paint. The good ole days before everyone and their mother was picking them up and pricing them through the roof.  Just went through it thoroughly with new wire. My ex found it for me at an auction local for $40.00. 

I thought I may have some pictures disassembled, sorry, but no.  I am sure you'll do yours justice. 🙂

GEVortPedComp1.jpg

I'll be powder coating mine a shade of brown but a little worried how the pot metal oscillator will take. 🤔

2 minutes ago, Vic Valencheck said:

I'll be powder coating mine a shade of brown but a little worried how the pot metal oscillator will take. 🤔

Not sure just what kind of alloy that gear box and trumpet is, Vic. They claim zinc here. I would be very leery of subjecting that to powder coating temps, unless someone here knows different.