R&M 3600 circa mid-20’s disassembly question and parts request

John Landstrom

Hey all, looking for R&M gurus to give some advice/hints/tips/help !

see pics…..but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get the swivel out of the base.

I've tried trying to tap it out with a small hammer but no-go.   I’ve soaked it in WD40 overnight and nothing.  I’ve even heated it with a small torch and put it back in the WD40 overnight and nothing.   I’ve tried to find something online and the closest I’ve found was a video on a Westinghouse that had a similar setup.  They just tapped it out with no problem.  Mine won’t budge.   Any help is appreciated.  (Even up to having the base parts toe replace these)

I'm also looking for a 10” cage and brackets with clips.   Doesn’t need to have the cage badge, I have one of those but it’s on a 9” cage that I’d be happy to trade.

stand by folks….i have two similar fans (3000 and 3600) so I’ll be on here bugging you for advice/info/parts !  

IMG_2023-12-28-110700.jpeg

IMG_2023-12-28-110742.jpeg

IMG_2023-12-28-110716.jpeg

IMG_2023-12-28-110916.jpeg

it's just like westinghouse of that era, if there is no set screw in the bottom you have to carefully hit the stud straight on & the bolt will pop out, otherwise you will be fighting it, plus if your not careful it will bend/warp/break something.

• Like 1

I saw what looked to be a set screw, but it was stripped out.  I had to drill it out to get the vertical motor shaft out of the base. Now, no matter how hard it tap on the threaded shaft the thing won’t budge.  I am afraid to hit it too hard.  I don’t want to bugger the threads nor break/bend something.  Have it soaking in WD40 again since I posted up.   

So, I’m stuck until I can figure this out.  Wish I had pics of the disassembled pieces.  That would help identify what I have to do to free up the pivot piece.  

I have an old model 2417 that I had the same issue with.  I used a 1/2" diameter brass drift punch and drove it out.  The brass will give way before it damages the threads on the pivot.

Posted (edited)

Jason, 

Interesting.  I’ll see what a small hammer does, then try a drift pin - but all I have are steel ones.   I might try a 3/8” brass bolt.  I’ve got a couple of those hanging around.  
I all else fails……..I might have to take it down to the local quarry and have them wire up some of their “boom-boom” sticks !

Edited by John Landstrom

OK - - 10" cage, fits 3000 or 3600

2 struts, clips, screws for 10" cage

front & rear oilers + springs (same size)

What else?