Gear Box cleaning

Malcolm MacGregor

After cleaning countless gear boxes, I have decided to ask the community for suggestions. Is there a soak solution that really dissolves that old grease without further hands on cleaning?  I mean really gets it clean the first time?

And all suggestions and opinions are welcome and appreciated 👍

I dig out most of the grease. Don't have to get perfect. Then I toss it in a heated sonic cleaner with diluted Simple Green. Comes out pretty darn clean! Just be sure you aren't attached to the paint that's on the gear box as there's a chance that's coming off too. 

A product called strike-hold, made for guns, melts it away.  I think Jeff Jones originally suggested this but it works great.  And doesn’t seem to hurt factory paint. 

• Like 2

Dig out most of the grease and then heat it with a torch and it will all pour out like water.. anything remaining don’t worry about it.. you might wanna watch out for the fiber washers steering clear of those .. I like using for this job, a little chefs, micro torch that runs on butane. Amazon has them for 20 bucks. 

Edited by David A Cherry
  • Like 3