Me$co 6volt battery fan cage and blade question

Robert Grathwol

Hello fan friends, I recently purchased this 6volt battery fan # 3619 and hung it on the wall. I always liked this fan but have never seen this style cage and blade before. To my eye the fan blade and cage could possibly be original. All the other MESCO 6volt fans I have seen have a different blade and square style ring cage. Any feedback is appreciated. Many thanks, Robert 

IMG_0064.jpeg

IMG_6271.jpeg

IMG_6275.jpeg

Edited by Robert Grathwol
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert Grathwol said:

Hello Russ, Blade diameter is 8 ‘’. 

Hello Robert,

I am sorry, there is nothing in electrical trade spanning into the mid-teens to support your 8" battery MESCO guard and blade. I see the first wrapped guard in electrical trade on the mid teen MESCO circuit fans such as Geoff Dunaway's shared example of the past. It is possible it may be a late model.  Did you purchase the fan in Canada?

unnamed (12).png

image (8).png

unnamed (13).png

• Like 1

I bought fan in USA . The cage and blade I guess were swapped along time ago from original. The replacement cage with the Me$co badge looks very well done. The worn patina on the cage and blade seem to match. Oh well the next step is to clean the base and motor but I like the old look of the brass. The switch has a few cracks too but some epoxy should work. 

7 minutes ago, Robert Grathwol said:

The cage and blade I guess were swapped along time ago from original.  

I don't recognize your blade hub to be another manufacturer's product. Your fan's blade and guard may be original. 

IMG_6271.thumb.v1.jpg.ea0e70eaf542a34841fc429daef53992.jpeg

I sure learned never to say never and I know of one collector of old that had to lose an option to acquire a Shedd Vane oscillator on the cheap to learn that lesson. I've seen the Mesco double wrapped cage in 12 & 16 so seems to reason that they would have asked for 8" cages after the decision was made to abandon the sturdy overbuilt Square back ring cage which was surely more costly to produce. My bet, the double wrapped cages were outsourced by Manhattan to shave production costs. Might even have been outsourced from Good Enough themselves. Cage looks authentic to me and maybe the blade as well as Russ pointed out. Great pick there.

• Like 1

My Mesco I believed restored by Ron Jeter and bought from my good friend Terry Burns.image.thumb.jpeg.86880da9f01575a3e4a6a3533ee89319.jpeg

• Like 1