Genteur Restoration

Dan Nguyen

I am really happy to have completed the restoration of these two CF Genteurs. They are a French product, really beautiful and scarce.
They now work perfectly with DC 220 volts, and are ready for everyday use for decades to come.

IMG_7037.jpeg

IMG_6992.jpeg

IMG_7023.jpeg

IMG_7073.jpeg

IMG_7250.jpeg

IMG_7271.jpeg

IMG_7357.jpeg

IMG_7353.jpeg

IMG_7383.jpeg

IMG_7386.jpeg

IMG_7390.jpeg

IMG_7245.jpeg

• Like 2

Three cheers for the master restorer! Excellent work Dan. Just magnificent 🤩 To see how these came to you and to see how they are now is inspiring. I'm going to have to send you the armature for the Genteur I have here. It needs your expert touch at Marelli-style coil braiding. Is that a thick teflon washer underneath the commutator. Seems like that might be preferable to inserting a small ball or needle bearing in a race?

Edited by Evan Atkinson
  • Like 1

wow,  impressive and humbling to say the least.... and I struggle to wire up a 3 wire headwire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Evan Atkinson said:

Three cheers for the master restorer! Excellent work Dan. Just magnificent 🤩 To see how these came to you and to see how they are now is inspiring. I'm going to have to send you the armature for the Genteur I have here. It needs your expert touch at Marelli-style coil braiding. Is that a thick teflon washer underneath the commutator. Seems like that might be preferable to inserting a small ball or needle bearing in a race?

Yes, it is Teflon plastic, so far I have not found a better material to make a washer for ceiling fans, hopefully someone here is an expert to tell me about anti-wear and self-lubricating plastic materials better than Teflon. The distance between the rotor and the bottom plate is not enough to put a thrust ball bearing there (I could not find a thrust ball bearing with suitable parameters for it in Vietnam)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan Nguyen said:

Yes, it is Teflon plastic, so far I have not found a better material to make a washer for ceiling fans, hopefully someone here is an expert to tell me about anti-wear and self-lubricating plastic materials better than Teflon. The distance between the rotor and the bottom plate is not enough to put a thrust ball bearing there (I could not find a thrust ball bearing with suitable parameters for it in Vietnam)

By far not an an expert but take a look at Rulon. It is expensive domestically but can be bought reasonably from India, China and scraps on eBay. Be aware the gold is bronze filled and conductive but other colors carry different properties. The maroon is a suitable color match for gutta. It is all self lubricating and designed for wear resistance.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chris Campbell said:

By far not an an expert but take a look at Rulon. It is expensive domestically but can be bought reasonably from India, China and scraps on eBay. Be aware the gold is bronze filled and conductive but other colors carry different properties. The maroon is a suitable color match for gutta. It is all self lubricating and designed for wear resistance.  

Thank you for the information about Rulon plastic, this seems to be the ideal material, however on Ebay its price is very high. I will start to find a supplier in China, hopefully it will be cheap.

Edited by Dan Nguyen

I have used needle thrust bearings to replace the metal thrust washer used in early DC ceiling fans. Their low friction allows a DC fan to run at very low voltage. And, only 2mm thick before you add the two thin race washers. My 220 volt Dayton ran fine at 40 volts. It was pretty fast at 120 volts, letting me run it on US power (with a bridge rectifier) without any step-down transformer. $8 for two. 

But, I’m sure Dan’s teflon washer will do just fine. Certainly better than an iron washer. 

IMG_2833.thumb.png.bab2756f9ab72b263a332e6867eecba7.png

Edited by Dave Hoatson
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Absolutely beautiful restoration.   Restoration of the armature and the coils are outstanding.    Thank you for posting this for is, Dan.  

Mel