GE fan

James Byerly

Found this old GE fan at antique shop .its no .508573 . Looking for mfg.date and is this a good fan .they are asking $195.00 is this a fair price . Any help appreciated -Thanks!IMG_4806.thumb.jpeg.beaa3e97c8cd44217791ff169a6a0987.jpeg

IMG_4805.jpeg

By the looks of the cage struts your fan is a 1910 model, the only year with the flat struts with the bend to where it mounts to the motor.   Good fans.

1910 GE fan motor Bulletin. They are well built fans. If you like it, and it runs well on 3 distinct speeds, will dumping $195.00 put you on crackers and water for the rest of the month? What will the wife say when you try to sneak it into the house, and she catches you with it? Things to think about. 

default.jpg

• Haha 2

Thanks for the information Steve and Russ ! You make a good point about the wife, Ha-Ha. She is always complaining about the number of fans I’ve acquired.  Hopefully I can sneak this one in without being caught.

• Haha 1

It's a BMY because it has flat, not "profile", struts.   1910 model, the only year made with flat struts that have a bend at the end that mounts to the motor.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roger Borg said:

SMY?

Brass stator bolt hex nuts. 

IMG_4806.thumb.jpeg.beaa3e97c8cd44217791ff169a6a0987.jpeg

Edited by Russ Huber

You have the year covered, the wife can possibly be fooled by careful subterfuge which leaves the price tag. Since this is in a dealer mall I will bet you that the dealer paid under $50 for it, saw how comps were priced on ebay and came to this price. January is typically the slowest month for antique store sales...I'd go back and have them call the dealer and offer $150 and see what happens, can't hurt to ask.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Nyman said:

January is typically the slowest month for antique store sales...I'd go back and have them call the dealer and offer $150 and see what happens, can't hurt to ask.

It may be slow in January, but it will all depend how long it has been sitting there collecting dust. $45.00 is a significant jump for most dealers. But I have had a few lucky stabs myself in the past with them calling the vender and them dropping to my price.

FWIW...something I have learned is to tell the shop clerk when they call the vender with my price, that I am sticking to my price, bottom line. Otherwise, typically they call the vender and state my price and then the vender whines that they gotta have $10.00-$15 more than what I offered, or worst-case scenario, 10%.  This way when you state your rock bottom price the vender has to make a quick decision on the phone about the upcoming rent that is due on the vending space. Now, if the vender after getting your rock bottom price chooses to go only 10%, or add the $10-$15 on to your rock bottom price, there is still plan B.  If you still want it regardless, when the clerk hangs up just stand there for 15-20 seconds starring at it and tell the clerk you just can't pass it up, dig out the green, and buck up. 🙂

8 hours ago, John Nyman said:

You have the year covered, the wife can possibly be fooled by careful subterfuge which leaves the price tag. Since this is in a dealer mall I will bet you that the dealer paid under $50 for it, saw how comps were priced on ebay and came to this price. January is typically the slowest month for antique store sales...I'd go back and have them call the dealer and offer $150 and see what happens, can't hurt to ask.

Make the offer! Very often the dealer has no clue of the real value. As has been said, it depends if they got it for next to free at a house clean out, or paid a stupid price at an auction.  In my experience the dealer will often accept a reasonable offer if they bought it right. That’s IF the front desk is willing to call them.  

Thanks guys  !  Hopefully the vendor has a little wiggle room with the price.