GE 55x165 question

Jason Stever

Hi all, I’m curious about these little guys as the tags they use don’t have the form letters as we see it on the larger models or at least, the ones I have found on line and in my possession do not conform as such. I’m assuming the tags with only 110v stamped are the older ones? I see that they only use a single letter instead of the two we would normally see on the lager models. Is there anyway to accurately date these? The form code date lists I find don’t list these single letter codes. I’ve seen S,T,U and maybe a V and two I’s ? Or maybe it’s eleven? 
here is mine that since it’s the S cage quiet blade version, I’m guessing is in the 1933-34 ballpark ?

IMG_9358.jpeg

Ballpark, yes... but I'd slide it back a bit, 1935 at least. 1936 or even '37 is reasonable, but s-wire cage makes earlier seem appropriate. My range of attribution would be 1935-1936. I've never seen a quiet blade with hub plug (if I understand your referent properly,) and believe that belonged exclusively to the Vortalex "super-quiet" fans...

image.thumb.png.5147dde84e744f875a7eff7c7ed30b4f.png

image.thumb.png.e0eb755226d48ff6733fd8dc7dd49a9e.png

36 minutes ago, Steve Rockwell said:

Ballpark, yes... but I'd slide it back a bit, 1935 at least. 1936 or even '37 is reasonable, but s-wire cage makes earlier seem appropriate. My range of attribution would be 1935-1936. I've never seen a quiet blade with hub plug (if I understand your referent properly,) and believe that belonged exclusively to the Vortalex "super-quiet" fans...

image.thumb.png.5147dde84e744f875a7eff7c7ed30b4f.png

image.thumb.png.e0eb755226d48ff6733fd8dc7dd49a9e.png

Maybe I’m smoking crack but I swear I’ve seen a few of the early ones with a cap on the hub and there was a post on here that I can’t find now of one out of the fan that was what peaked my curiosity. You can kinda see it in the post I made about looking for one and here is a kinda crap photo of another. 

IMG_9407.png

Yes very early s wire cage quiet blade 9” fans have a thumb tack style plug.  The rotor shaft is machined for it, later versions are not , even s wire style units. Photo is from a friend, I currently own multiple small quiet blades & none of them have the button , I surmise a very short run for this feature. 

IMG_7379.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lawrence Smith said:

Yes very early s wire cage quiet blade 9” fans have a thumb tack style plug.  The rotor shaft is machined for it, later versions are not , even s wire style units. Photo is from a friend, I currently own multiple small quiet blades & none of them have the button , I surmise a very short run for this feature. 

IMG_7379.jpeg

Thanks for posting this.

... and now for the moment of humiliation...

I just went to my photos, I have two of those fans, neither working...

The first

image.thumb.jpeg.f7b9c553208f802083494b87038b1c58.jpeg

has a broken bearing housing,

image.thumb.jpeg.05fd35f9d1ef14698849fd03be39b51b.jpeg

which I had hoped to repair/replace in order to keep two fans.

The second was a Craig's List bargain,

image.thumb.jpeg.55c41a9db6a8b0fc34e853ae2fe43e83.jpeg

literally a basket of parts which a non-fanatic ingeniously re-assembled and sold me, though the glued-up loop did not last very long.

image.thumb.jpeg.707eb16ab8cac702f833208a4b17661e.jpeg

Lo and behold...

image.thumb.jpeg.07e4a4ba57a7548387cec7a7b751636d.jpeg

When I get to the project, I'll have to make one good fan out of two, and at that point I'll examine the machining Lawrence mentioned... You've taught me several things with this thread... Thanks again.

Steve if you want to get rid of parts let me know , I have like 8 of those & will surely need something. I’m looking into having the button 3d printed . I acquired a parts fan that is machined for it

Just checked mine, not machined for the button .. womp womp. Just tried to stick I pin in the hole and it goes about a mouse fart deep. IE not at all really