Rewind Emerson 19645 Switch Coil

Cameron Carlile

Good Chilly Morning Folks: I'm looking for someone willing and competent to rewind a cooked Emerson 19645 switch coil. 2nd and 1st settings were operational but not differentiated.  Opened it up, and the thing is just cooked. Broke a wire with a paint brush. Any recommendations?20240116_100339.thumb.jpg.adb8ed4ce0b412d22738dcba54628447.jpg

Edited by Cameron Carlile
Error

Doesn’t look cooked to me. How does it ohm out?

Run the ran on a variac at the voltage it was built to run on and you’re likely to see more speed separation. 

Edited by Lane Shirey

Lane's right.  Note they all can look like that but function just fine.  The varnish they used back then turns jet black over time and gives the impression of a burned out stator or coil.  A burned up coil or stator will have areas of flat black in color vs the shinier black from old varnish.  That's usually a sign you have seen over temp.

Just based on my experience...........Dan H.

• Like 1

It is pretty common for these fans to run the same speed. What is your line voltage? The rated voltage on the fan is 110v. So, I would imagine your line voltage is a least 120vac. When the fan is run at a voltage higher than what it is rated for it can cause the problem you have.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 10:05 AM, Cameron Carlile said:

Good Chilly Morning Folks: I'm looking for someone willing and competent to rewind a cooked Emerson 19645 switch coil. 2nd and 1st settings were operational but not differentiated.  Opened it up, and the thing is just cooked. Broke a wire with a paint brush. Any recommendations?

You state that you "Opened it up" and "Broke a wire with a paintbrush."

Did you peel the tape cover off of the windings? Can you see where the wire broke off? Would you post pictures of it if you did open it or can see the broken place?

I can repair or rewind the coil, depending on the extent of the damage, as to which is more appropriate, BUT.... the complete winding should remain as intact as possible in order to duplicate it if necessary.

On 1/16/2024 at 10:05 AM, Cameron Carlile said:

Good Chilly Morning Folks: I'm looking for someone willing and competent to rewind a cooked Emerson 19645 switch coil. 2nd and 1st settings were operational but not differentiated.  Opened it up, and the thing is just cooked. Broke a wire with a paint brush. Any recommendations?20240116_100339.thumb.jpg.adb8ed4ce0b412d22738dcba54628447.jpg

I agree with you, it is cooked.  It is toast.  Do that great old fan a lasting favor and have the speed control rebuilt.  I can do it for you, but whoever you send it to, insist on a total rebuild.  

• Like 2