Verity’s Orbit

Steve H Jordan

I have recently turned up this rather lovely 12” 3 speed Verity’s Orbit - what a great fan !

Unfortunately it’s been overpainted at some point but it still works. I wonder if someone has bypassed the speed control as it seems to operate on one speed only - fast !

I have been nosing around the forum and the web generally, trying to get an idea of the date. 

There seem to be various badge variations and differing  label numbers, all of which have left me somewhat confused ! 

The label on this one states “1927-R desk fan” which I’m guessing is the catalogue number. Underneath it states “BESA No380 - 1930” which I’m wondering if is some kind of electrical convention with its date ?

IMG_1941.jpeg

IMG_1943.jpeg

IMG_1944.jpeg

IMG_1945.jpeg

• Like 2

Just found this ... which is dated 1927 and shows the same fan, so now I don't know if the 1927R is the year or the model !!!

image.png.51735c553d1017357caa8cabd235ffc2.png

Verity fans and the company has very little documentation, even on the old forum. The newspaper clipping you send is a new contribution. There was A member on the old forum (Peter Mould) who uploaded photos scans of a catalog he had. Your model the “light orbit” is mentioned. The catalogue numbers don’t line up with what you’ve got. I assume “1927R” is likely its date. I otherwise am as clueless as you are, so I’d take this in lightly.

The post mentioned it’s believed to be a 1926 catalog though the date on the cover is faded, hard to validate it.

IMG_3832.thumb.jpeg.56b067060a99a82bc3b339746990917b.jpegIMG_3842.thumb.jpeg.dbdd75dab414d1a768f67539f756d5a1.jpegIMG_3843.thumb.jpeg.ae861c333b8a03164907b682fba9e9db.jpegIMG_3844.thumb.jpeg.41e1602d4f87fa0b50defc07d34ef3aa.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alex Koh said:

Verity fans and the company has very little documentation, even on the old forum. The newspaper clipping you send is a new contribution. There was A member on the old forum (Peter Mould) who uploaded photos scans of a catalog he had. Your model the “light orbit” is mentioned. The catalogue numbers don’t line up with what you’ve got. I assume “1927R” is likely its date. I otherwise am as clueless as you are, so I’d take this in lightly.

The post mentioned it’s believed to be a 1926 catalog though the date on the cover is faded, hard to validate it.

IMG_3832.thumb.jpeg.56b067060a99a82bc3b339746990917b.jpegIMG_3842.thumb.jpeg.dbdd75dab414d1a768f67539f756d5a1.jpegIMG_3843.thumb.jpeg.ae861c333b8a03164907b682fba9e9db.jpegIMG_3844.thumb.jpeg.41e1602d4f87fa0b50defc07d34ef3aa.jpeg

Thank you Alex that is very interesting - it certainly appears to be a three speed Light Orbit, and most likely with a date of the 20's. Why the catalogue numbers don't appear to correspond is odd. My only possible thought is if the catalogue shown is for the US and my fan is a UK version .... clutching a straws !!

On 1/23/2024 at 11:09 AM, Steve H Jordan said:

Thank you Alex that is very interesting - it certainly appears to be a three speed Light Orbit, and most likely with a date of the 20's. Why the catalogue numbers don't appear to correspond is odd. My only possible thought is if the catalogue shown is for the US and my fan is a UK version .... clutching a straws !!

Steve the post I took the photos from were scans that came from the Birminham library that Peter Mould got himself as he did visit the UK to retrive these. 

"The only reference that I have to Veritys orbital fans comes from research undertaken by Peter Moulds when in the UK some years ago when he visited the records of Veritys kept at the central reference library (BCRL) in Birmingham, UK. Most of Veritys records were destroyed in bombing raids during Word War II and scant documentary evidence remains. These scans are taken from the only remaining BCRL copy of a 1920s catalogue believed to date from 1926."
Here is a link to that post for you to read https://www.afcaforum.com/forum1/10792.html

On 1/23/2024 at 11:09 AM, Steve H Jordan said:

I have never seen any Verity catalogs or advertiesments for the US market. Though it does seem there were some exported to the states as I have seen some marked for 110v 60cycles.
This was from a ebay listing I saw about a year ago.

image.thumb.png.cd5e968d7407284f7b672558f9676abc.pngimage.thumb.png.26937b8e143a19b151002f8276578eac.png

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 1:11 AM, Alex Koh said:

Steve the post I took the photos from were scans that came from the Birminham library that Peter Mould got himself as he did visit the UK to retrive these. 

"The only reference that I have to Veritys orbital fans comes from research undertaken by Peter Moulds when in the UK some years ago when he visited the records of Veritys kept at the central reference library (BCRL) in Birmingham, UK. Most of Veritys records were destroyed in bombing raids during Word War II and scant documentary evidence remains. These scans are taken from the only remaining BCRL copy of a 1920s catalogue believed to date from 1926."
Here is a link to that post for you to read https://www.afcaforum.com/forum1/10792.html

Thank you Alex - thats an interesting read, much appreciated.

I'm interested to see that someone on that post put up a picture of 2 different types of Tag/badge, one being the same as mine - not that it seems to shed any further light on it though !

I’m thinking my custom paint is quite the show piece!! My plan is to leave it & do a mechanical repair when I get to it!! This one has a great story. 

IMG_2994.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lawrence Smith said:

I’m thinking my custom paint is quite the show piece!! My plan is to leave it & do a mechanical repair when I get to it!! This one has a great story. 

IMG_2994.jpeg

Double Lever?

1 hour ago, Louis Luu said:

Double Lever?

There are double lever models that have squared blades which were part of the "ship fans". The one Lawrance showed looks to be a standard orbital model.
Note how the motor and yoke isn't centered to the base on his compared to the twin lever version.

IMG_2994.jpeg
unftitled.pnguntitle;d.pngP42 Orbit Heavy Type (2).jpg

Here is another double lever. Photo comes from New York Digital Heriatage. For some reason the archived photos were in possestion of General Electric.

It seems to predate the ones showed in the catalog since it has the older emblem seen on the early Verity models.
Verity's ""Aston"" 12 "" - DC-200/240 Volt Oscillating Fan Motor.Verity Typhoon - Pre-1950 (Antique) - Antique Fan Collectors Association -  AFCA Forumsimage.png.2169948201b2a2ec600dfb643e0921e8.png

• Like 1