Screw Size for Westy Tank Motor Tags?? Edit… It’s a 4-40 thread. Thanks to all!

Lane Shirey

Hello, does anybody happen to know the thread size of the screws that fasten the motor tag on a Westy Tank?  Or does someone have a thread gage small enough to check a screw off of their tank?  I scoured the old forum but came up empty. 

I don’t have gage small enough to check them.  They appear to be a fillister type head.  Damn they’re tiny. 
Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Lane Shirey

Upon closer inspection,...

it might be (prob'ly is?)
  40 TPI.

So few threads on that short screw...

Thanks Jim! I think I might have a long 4-40 screw. I’ll try it.  For some reason I thought it might be smaller. 

Does anyone make these or can point me to something I can make work? I have two tanks missing a tag screw. 

I believe the stamped steel westy's have the same screws on their tags also.  At least the thread part as the heads could be slightly different.

Edited by Anthony Lindsey

1 hour ago, Trevor Andersen said:

Does anyone make these or can point me to something I can make work? I have two tanks missing a tag screw. 

If they’re 4-40, McMaster carries fillister head in that size. You will have to trim them down since they’re so short, but most electrical wire strippers with built in screw cutters have 4-40 cutter. 

I won’t be at the shop until Sunday, so I can check it then, unless someone has a 4-40 they can try in the meantime. .

Edited by Lane Shirey
  • Like 1

I bought a box each in brass and stainless many, many years ago from McMaster-Carr.  I can't check them right now, but I'm certain they are #4-40.  The brass ones I have need to be cut down, but the SS ones came in the correct length (1/8" I think).  I also bought a box each of the fillister head screws for struts, strut clips, and switch mounts at the time.  It's very handy to have these around when needed.

Doug and Jim, thanks for all your help. I was able to verify today, it is indeed a 4-40 thread.  No need to custom make, will just order longer lengths from McMaster and trim down. Thanks again!,

Edited by Lane Shirey

• Lane Shirey changed the title to Screw Size for Westy Tank Motor Tags?? Edit… It’s a 4-40 thread. Thanks to all!

Psssssssssssst...........if it was an odd slightly undersized thread (Diehl is good for that), you can always run a 4-40 tap into the hole. I wouldn't tell anyone you did, and who to hell would know but you. 🙂

Your gonna like those McMaster 4-40 brass fillister head screws, Lane. I ordered 100 from them years ago. Enjoy your toy!

• Thanks 1