Holy Grail Haul 1.21.24

Marc Sova

Here’s my haul from last weekend in Ohio. Just figured I’d post my video rather than a bunch of pictures. Gives a better more through look at each one. Fans:
Marelli (model?), R&M Peacock, Colonial front oscillator, Menemonee Snowflake, Emerson 21648, jandus C Frame, Jandus C Frame (ge?)

• Like 6

Amazing seeing that much in one place.   Makes me wonder how long they were there and if anyone bought some before you got there.  🤔

1 hour ago, Steve Butler said:

...wonder...  ...if anyone bought some before you got there.

I was first and got the
   crème de la crème...

ezgif-5-3720eead97.thumb.jpg.74246b0f75e0ae97cfcfc038324c9c9f.jpg

Left the rest for Marc.

Great score, Marc!  Thumbup.gif.a2a980754dc41854d2d101cf4b405f2d.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Steve Butler said:

Amazing seeing that much in one place.   Makes me wonder how long they were there and if anyone bought some before you got there.  🤔

Yeah I wonder too. I bet not long…and honestly, i almost bet there weren’t others. i mean what fan would have to be there for sale to make a buyer leave behind two c frames????a third more perfect c frame maybe? Lol. 

Great haul Marc …. !!  That will keep the rest of us on the road and in the shops.  The C frame with the AB motor is one I’ve never seen before.  More rare than a ball motor?  Don’t know.   I found a wire mount with that AB motor at a flee market and fell in love with the motor.  The more you look at it the cooler it gets.  

In 1911 the General Electric Co. announced in their fan motor bulletin they were discontinuing the centrifugal switch mechanism in their desk fan motor line (BMY). Jandus was outsourcing this GE centrifugal start fan motor starting in 09 primarily for their AC gyro. Being GE discontinued the centrifugal mechanism for a phase shift winding, AB/jandus now had to either manufacture, or outsource another AC centrifugal start motor primarily for the AC gyros. They did use this motor on the AC desk fans as well. What you see here was the result. What we don't know is if AB/jandus actually manufactured the motors in factory or outsourced them from another unknown source as they did from GE. I myself lean more to the motors being outsourced. The images below were all separately posted on the old website in past.

DSCN7450.JPG

DSC_6846.JPG

A -B 12 inch. C - frame Jandus 009.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

This motor potentially was on the market spanning anywhere between 1911-12 and 1922.

A -B 12 inch. C - frame Jandus 009.jpg

Starting in 1920, the motor tag would state National Screw & Tack. AB/Jandus was absorbed by them in 20. 

fan- national screw and tack full.jpg

download.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Steve Butler said:

Yeah I wonder too. I bet not long…and honestly, i almost bet there weren’t others. i mean what fan would have to be there for sale to make a buyer leave behind two c frames????a third more perfect c frame maybe? Lol. 

13 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Starting in 1920, the motor tag would state National Screw & Tack. AB/Jandus was absorbed by them in 20. 

fan- national screw and tack full.jpg

download.jpg

No the tag doesn’t say that. I’ll maybe post a pic of the tags later. Great info. Thanks. 

So I delicately cut the welds that were on the frame and the bolt (not sure if the bigger hex head hood was factory or not?). Indeed the small(?) gear is missing. So…. 

IMG_5919.jpeg

On 1/27/2024 at 11:00 AM, Marc Sova said:

So I delicately cut the welds that were on the frame and the bolt (not sure if the bigger hex head hood was factory or not?). Indeed the small(?) gear is missing. So…. 

IMG_5919.jpeg

The low-profile guy who made the video.🙂 

Mike Petree.v1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Does anyone go the distance to reproduce these gears anymore?  

IMG_5919.thumb.jpeg.85129485d886082d519a1211f7897d7a.jpeg

Louis Luu sounded like he would be up to the task. But he would need an original to measure and copy from, etc. Understandably, he’s not willing to disassemble his c frame and I am not willing to disassemble the other one that I have that has it in tact. It’s the earlier(?) Jandus motor so I’m assuming it would have the same gear. 

Edited by Marc Sova
Typos

On 1/28/2024 at 10:58 PM, Russ Huber said:

Does anyone go the distance to reproduce these gears anymore?  

IMG_5919.thumb.jpeg.85129485d886082d519a1211f7897d7a.jpeg

Dan Nguyen