Some oddball fans from my collection. (First post on forum)

Daniel Herczeg

IMAGE 1:
I have these desk fans, and I have yet to come to any conclusion regarding their age or worth. I am thinking the Arctic is from the late 20s-early 30s, due to a Graybar with a label datigng it to 1930 that I have a friend who is not part of the AFCA holding on to, as he wants to have a go at fixing it. I can't really figure out much more about the little fan, as very little media of even similar models, let alone this model, exists. However, I do know that I got it for $55 dollars and that it's spindown as a few good minutes long. When I first got it and turned it on, it made a screaming noise, but only a little oil got it to the state it's in now. I also had to replace the cord, but I kept the original head. The Sterling is less mysterious, as I have seen Ebay listings for fans like it, but none of it's exact sort. It also had a GE branded plug, which is suspiciously short, but it appears to be original, as no sign of alteration was found on the interior of the fan. It's a booger to close, so I probably won't do much investigating. I'm guessing it's from the '50s.

IMAGE 2:
Pictured below are my adorable 14" Zero box fan and my gigantic 14" Diehl desk/floor fan. The Diehl was the third fan I ever obtained, and the second fan I ever repaired. My first fan was a Vornado which I am trying to restore to it's original colors (It was clearly spray-painted gold when I got it, as well as the grille being upside down, and the badge being painted over.), and it currently sits stripped of paint (next to a crappy little Diehl beater fan that was a horrible deal in retrospect, which is in similar shape) in my basement as I wait for the winter to cease. My second desk fan was a GE of some kind, but it never needed any work done whatsoever, and will likely be pictured in a future post. Focusing back to the Diehl, it runs so powerfully on high that it blows screws and bolts across my desk. I am very grateful for it, at it's helped out a ton over these hot Maryland summers. However, it does have a bit of a leaking problem, which warrants it to have a towel beneath it at all times. The Zero box fan is an odd case, since I can find no other fan quite like it. Some have the same body and blades, but a different handle. Some have the same blades and handle, but a different body. Same have the same body and handle, but different blades. It's either rare or a frankenfan.

Lastly, not pictured, I have a Sears Roebuck/Kenmore desk fan. I'll provide images soon, but right now, it spends more time opened up on my workbench than running.

I'm very excited to join this community, and I hope to talk to you all very soon.

Sincerely, Daniel Herczeg.

image.jpeg

WIN_20240129_19_53_57_Pro.jpg

There will be a fan meet close to you in York, PA in September. Great place to get good advice, buy nice fans and meet fan folks. 

Edited by Lane Shirey
  • Like 1

I look forward to going. Also, has the convention at the museum been planned? If so, I don't know where to find the date.

• Like 1

Event information is in the Fan Collector Magazine. Sometimes it's on the website.