First Attempts

Tyler Bryson

Hi y'all,

I found...most of this, in a pile of trash on the curb in Alphabet City NYC years ago. With school, life, and a profound lack of electrical know-how it's been on my todo list forever. Lord  but was this fan. exploded capacitor, some broken rivets, broken non-original plug, etc. 

I've done my best to clean everything I could get at & learn to (dis)assemble it. Now, I just need to see if I can make it work 🙂

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

Edited by Steve Cunningham
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom Zapf said:

IT SURE LOOKS NICE GOOD LUCK GETTING IT GOING! 

Thanks! I took the path of stripping it down to bare metal where I could. The cage had been through the ringer---pitted metal, what looks like a repair weld behind the badge...had to paint that. But the base and motor housing was just elbow grease.
The blades, I was worried about abrading them; who knows whats in the micarta... So that was JB Weld, isopropyl, and rustoleum. to cover up. 

I'm going to disassemble and start poking around with the wiring soon. Will definitely have questions for more knowledgable folks here.

Come to think of it, I should have probably named this thread something informative...like "Look what I did to this Westinghouse Vader from the trash"

On 2/2/2024 at 4:54 AM, Evan Atkinson said:

Nice! 🤩 

Assume the original brown paint was no good?

The "hamor" bronze? 😉 No. Somewhere along the lines the cage and housing were painted over in a different brown. Part of the motor housing was original but the base had quite a lot of wear and rust. Plus, The cap had blown and leaked all over in the interior...corrosive carcinogenic gunk  *blech*

Just now, Tyler Bryson said:

The "hamor" bronze? 😉 No. Somewhere along the lines the cage and housing were painted over in a different brown. Part of the motor housing was original but the base had quite a lot of wear and rust. Plus, The cap had blown and leaked all over in the interior...corrosive carcinogenic gunk  *blech*

I ended up taking all the parts down as close as possible to bare metal and working back from there.

• Like 1

Well it looks great! I’ll be interested “when you get it to run”.  Keep us posted.

On 1/31/2024 at 10:38 AM, Tyler Bryson said:

Thanks! I took the path of stripping it down to bare metal where I could.

It looks cool. Keep in mind bare cast iron metal will eventually oxidize. Rust never sleeps. If you like the look as is, you can buy automotive clearcoat in a rattle can at a jobber. 

I stripped this brass bell years ago down to bare casting and used gun bluing and clear coat. Enjoy your toy! 🙂

G.E.Bell 055.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 11:18 PM, Russ Huber said:

Pssssssssssst.......picture doing this on bare fan motor casting. 🙂

unnamed (5).png

unnamed (6).png

what is that oil sheen effect on the metal? I think that beautiful plane is more my speed 🙂 For my fan, I like the cast marks; just rattle can clearcoated it

On 2/5/2024 at 9:42 PM, Darwin Costello said:

Well it looks great! I’ll be interested “when you get it to run”.  Keep us posted.

me too. I'm hopeful that it will. But also circumspect. I went into this project knowing nothing about how these old fans were put together. I know a little now and I have *some* of the tools I'd need to restore another. Even if it doesn't work out, I'll have gotten something out of the process.

1 hour ago, Tyler Bryson said:

what is that oil sheen effect on the metal? 

For anyone interested, investigate "Color Case Hardening". There is a more involved way using heat, and there is a less involved way using chemicals. 

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (13).png

• Like 1

Wow looks great. Makes me

want one of these more now. Exactly what model is this? Year? Seems a little more compact and boxy than ones I’ve seen before…maybe those were differnt years or models? 

49 minutes ago, Marc Sova said:

Wow looks great. Makes me

want one of these more now. Exactly what model is this? Year? Seems a little more compact and boxy than ones I’ve seen before…maybe those were differnt years or models? 

Hard to read  the tag. Looks like Cat No: 12-q-3, Serial: A1, Model: 922302. And its dated on the upper right hand corner 11-25-36

image0.jpeg

• Like 1