Progress on Arctic Aire 195-D Pedestal and question

Evan Atkinson

The rear end of the rotor shaft on the 1937 Arctic Aire pedestal here is held in place by a beefy Oilite bearing within a bracket/dummy oscillator box structure (inside the aluminum shell).

We realized the rear end of the rotor shaft must have had a short (think 1" or so) spacer tube installed (along with fiber washers) to prevent the shaft end from contacting the bearing keeper and plug in the dummy box. But whatever the original tube was, it's long gone today.

I can either order a 40" long tube from McMaster-Carr and cut a tiny section I need, but I figured I'd inquire if anyone in the club here has a short section of tube with the correct dims (3/8" ID x 1/2" OD) you'd be willing to donate for the cost of shipping?

Thanks to all, in advance.

Below is the link to the separate post within Wanted. 

Edited by Evan Atkinson

• Evan Atkinson changed the title to Progress on Arctic Aire 195-D Pedestal and question

It was a cardboard tube /spacer. I’ve seen it on early box fans also . They get oil soaked & fail 

• Like 1

My local ace has nylon spacers, even bronze. I would think the nylon would be a fair substitute.

• Like 1

Great idea Michael. Don’t know why sometimes I disregard the most obvious solutions. Found some today. Here’s hoping!

IMG_6248.jpeg