Look What I Got Today

Darrell Koller

Darrel,

There are some people pretty crafty working with die cast pot metal/zinc alloy metal. The optimism is the housing is not exposed to oil like let's say a die cast gearbox.  This way the bonds would be stronger. The repairs would have to be done piecing it together top to bottom with bonding done from the inside or outside. One approach for repair below.

Pot Metal Solder: How to Create Successful Repairs with Super Alloy 1 (muggyweld.com)

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Darrel,

There are some people pretty crafty working with die cast pot metal/zinc alloy metal. The optimism is the housing is not exposed to oil like let's say a die cast gearbox.  This way the bonds would be stronger. The repairs would have to be done piecing it together top to bottom with bonding done from the inside or outside. One approach for repair below.

Pot Metal Solder: How to Create Successful Repairs with Super Alloy 1 (muggyweld.com)

Nope Russ, I'm sending it back.

More good fans are ruined by shipping than anything else. It's been getting worse as time goes on. It's to the point for me I won't even bother anymore either buying or selling simply because I don't want to risk the fan getting damaged. I'd rather let it go than have it broken....

Transported in a cement mixer and delivered with a wood chipper. I sure hope you get all your money back.

That is absolutely horrible. I hate shipping fans!!! That is why I buy and sell in person. I quit buying off ebay and sellers I don't know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael Rathberger said:

More good fans are ruined by shipping than anything else. It's been getting worse as time goes on. It's to the point for me I won't even bother anymore either buying or selling simply because I don't want to risk the fan getting damaged. I'd rather let it go than have it broken....

Yeah, I'm kinda with you.  This is actually the second fan in less than I month that I've purchased off "that auction site" that's been damaged in shipping.  The other was a 1904 Pancake that had a near perfect cage.  The cage was a wreck when it arrived.  

On the other hand... I guess this is the nature of antiques.  As fewer exist, the more valuable they become.  You all who own Savory bankers fans can thank me.

6 hours ago, Steve Sherwood said:

Did the shipper have any type of padding in the box?  

Actually Steve, it was packed pretty well with one exception.  There was NO packaging on the floor of the box nor around the bottom of the base.  The bare feet were against the cardboard box bottom.  I guess they assumed that metal is unbreakable.  Must not have any experience with pot metal.

Tragic! 😭

I need those blades, darn it. Parts fan? If you send it back to them, give 'em my name and I'll PM you my phone number. Maybe they'll sell me what I need?

Edited by Evan Atkinson

Darrell,

I don't know where you live, but I have had great success finding great fans, both completely restored to major project fans at fan events in several areas across the nation. Fanfair is the best place to find almost any fan you could be looking for. Everyone's prices are fair, and you don't have to pay shipping and worry that your fan will arrive in pieces. Plus you meet alot of great people who are extremely knowledgeable on almost any fan of interest. 

• Like 1