Zero (Edison Electric) Box Fan Help

Daniel Herczeg

The screw holding the blades keeps slipping. Any ideas? I'm at a complete dead end on what to do.

DANIEL THERE ARE SOM MANY GENERATIONS, SIZES AND STYLES OF THESE FANS, CAN YOU SHOW US A PHOT? PLUS WHEN YOU SAY (SLIPPING) DO YOU MEAN THE SHAFT SPINS AND THE BLADES DONT? OR THEY WOBBLE OR GO SLOWER? THERE ARE A LOT OF TRICKS DEPENDING ON THE SET SCREW AND BLADE /SHAFT STYLE 

What I mean by slipping is that the axle spins, but the blades lag, and are only pushed along by the friction between the axle and the rotor, but the screw does not hold it in place. The fan is a McGraw Edison Electric "Zero" box fan, model 123X.

WIN_20240205_15_59_11_Pro.jpg

Go to ace hardware & get a new set screw , if your threads are good in the blade hub . If they are not then you’ll need to get creative with thread locker type stuff. 

DANIEL, GOT IT... FIRST THINGS FIRST YOUR BLADES LOOK LIKE THEY ARE ON BACKWARDS. THE V-SHAPED MOUNT SHOULD BE TO THE REAR FACING THE MOTOR. THE FRONT OF THE BLADE SHOULD BE SMOOTH WITH JUST RIVETS FACING OUT.  YOUR SHAFT SHOULD HAVE EITHER AN INDENTATION IN IT ALONG ONE SIDE OF THE SHAFT (SO THAT IT ISNT ROUND ON ALL SIDES)  , OR A ROUND "HOLE" THAT DOES NOT GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH. THE SET SCREW SHOULD BE OVER THE OVER THE FLATTENED INDENTATION ON THE SHAFT OR OVER THE "HOLE"  SO IT HAS A PLACE TO SET-DOWN AND NOT BE ON THE ROUNDED PORTION OF THE SHAFT . CHECK THAT OUT FOR STARTERS

The blades are pitched correctly. Whatever problem it had seems to have gone away, it's just a bit touchy at times, especially at high speeds for prolonged times.

That one certainly is similar to mine. I wouldn't want to get another one due to the fact that the bottom of the inside is so difficult to clean, though. When I first got mine, I actually had to clean the housing in my bathtub due to how much filth had accumulated.

HOW ARE YOU MAKING OUT WITH YOUR LOOSE BLADE SCREW ? WE HAVE "HELPERS"  IN CERTAIN AREAS WHO ARE HAPPY TO HELP OUT SOMEONE WHO ISNT TOO FAR AWAY 

I have temporarily haluted efforts on the ZERO box fan, as I am assisting a friend outside of the association fix the cage, cord, and switch of his desk fan.

There is something you can buy called thread-lock. (No Idea where to buy) Its like a glue but allows you to unscrew if needed. Put some of that in the hole for the screw and your all good. easy fix.

I think I've seen that product in use before. It works, but a bit too well for such a small screw, and can make a mess when unscrewed, or when used for extended periods of time.

ITS TOO BAD YOU ARE DOWN IN MAYRLAND, IF YOU WERE ABLE TO MAKE IT UP FOR MY BBQ ON JUNE 1 WE COULD LOOK AT IT. I STILL THINK THE BLADE IS MOUNTED BACKWARDS BUT WOULD ALWAYS BE HELPFUL TO SEE IN PERSON 

yeah the blade is mounted backwards. If the thread lock is too much, use a really small amount or use another glue that you know wont make it too difficult. Certain school glues might work. Just anything to prevent the centrifugal force from unscrewing the screw. It's not like the blades need to come off that often unless you put heavy use on it. Even with blades on you can still oil the front.

I will say it again: The blades are not on backwards. I have used it enough to tell that the blades are mounted correctly.

11 hours ago, Daniel Herczeg said:

I will say it again: The blades are not on backwards. I have used it enough to tell that the blades are mounted correctly.

Okay fine, but you would do well to heed the advice offered to you when you ask a question (the blade is backwards).

I understand that you may think the blades are on backwards, but I have used this fan. I would be able to tell if the blades were backwards.

While there are many, many styles and forms of blade wings, the vast majority of them are curved. It is this curve that makes the blade efficient. There are only two forms of these blades, clockwise (cw) and counter clockwise (ccw). Cw and ccw dictate the direction the air will move. If a cw curve is installed backwards on a cw motor the air will still move the same direction as if it were installed properly, but at a low efficiency. If the cw motor is then reversed, then the air will move efficiently in the opposite direction.

blade.thumb.jpg.3c8c172183b0dc2f630560f227e87b39.jpg

• Like 1

These blades are actually flat and are angled by the brackets.

Daniel, little hard to see in the video, but it looks like there's a slight "kick" or "curve" in the blade. This kick should be the trailing edge of the blade. Think of it like it "kicks" the air forward, increasing efficiency of the fan. The fan will blow air forward with the blade on correctly or backwards, but if the kick is leading the blade movement, it'll act more like an air brake and try to slow down the blade rotation, causing your blades to slip on the hub. If the flat portion of the blade leads the rotation, then air "ramps" up the blade face and is kicked forward when it meets that bend, allowing for more efficient air movement. Again, it'll blow air out of the front with the blades on correctly or backwards, but everything is just happier with the blades on in the correct direction. 

Screenshot_20240308-064326-900.png