Fan Cage Question

Pat Florio

Hello and thank you for accepting me into this forum.  I am trying to learn more about a fan I have, to understand how to describe the protective cage across the front.  I have not seen any other examples in catalogues. 

It is type AO U, cat. 75425, spec. # 272040-1

The overall measurements are 20" high, 18" diameter of cage, with a loop handle.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Pictures help.   Sounds like a common GE loop-handle oscillator fan. It likely has either a brass-bell or zinc-bell type oscillator drive wheel on it.  

Thank you!  I had some trouble loading the photos yesterday.  I wasnt sure if the gray wire is considered a type of cage.image.thumb.jpeg.501e8c81e19b32d3756f9899340b81a0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f127a05243dae98f131d6d331257b9f8.jpeg

You have an add on accessory to your fan! The finer mesh is an "OSHA cage" to keep curious fingers out of the blades of the fan. Looks to be a manufactured item versus someone's homemade accessory. 

I had a GE AK1/AOU 75425 with the same or similar 1/4” mesh attached to the cage.   It was cut precisely, and attached with small twisted wires that were snipped close so they didn’t grab you.   It looked professionally done.   

PAT:  what’s the FORM info from the tag.  That helps date it too.   A close up of the brass ID tag on the base will help - if there is one   I see what appears to be a paper tag, but then again my eyesight sucks    

IMG_0058.jpeg

Edited by John Landstrom

1 hour ago, Patrick Ray said:

...to keep curious fingers out of the blades of the fan.

If one is so inclined,...
...back side is wide open.

p.s.  And hurts a helluva lot more!

Just now, Jim Kovar said:

If one is so inclined,...
...back side is wide open.

p.s.  And hurts a helluva lot more!

I've always thought of sticking fingers into the front of a fan as a smack and the back as a chop. 

• Haha 1

Glad I've got hardwood floors. You really don't realize how deeply pitched those Swan blades are until you are bleeding all over the place. 

Funny. Blades do the most damage from the rear and from the sides.  DAMHIK. There are videos of cats toying with running fan blades from the front with their paws on the internet. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Ray said:

You have an add on accessory to your fan! The finer mesh is an "OSHA cage" to keep curious fingers out of the blades of the fan. Looks to be a manufactured item versus someone's homemade accessory. 

Yes, it does look like it was industrially produced.  Makes me feel more confident turning the fan on.  Thanks for your response!

57 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

...hardwood floors.

Alternate solution,...
         red carpet.

• Haha 2

Yes Bill Dunlap, a sheet curtain met that fate of being drawn in from the side, with resultant grease stain!

Posting more pictures of the controls and back of fan.  Still hard to read the numbers, but using a flashlight :

Type AOU, Form V2

Cat 75425, Spec 272040-1, 110 volts, 60 cycle

The label on the base is an old address label, name of previous owner.  He resided in a farmhouse estate in Hunterdon County NJ, and seems he was proud of this very effective fan.

IMG_0546.PNG

IMG_0492 4.JPG

John Landstrom,

That is a great photo of the fan cage.  I noticed that the curvy metal brackets are on top of the metal cage, whereas on my fan it is the opposite. 

That’s the last model with all cast iron motor housing.  Arguably the best years for the Loophandle. They’re my favorite to restore and I’ve done a number of them over the years.  

if you’re not aware, there are 3 planned fan collectors meets in PA and NJ this summer.  You should try to make one or all of them. You’d have a blast and find a number of knowledgeable restorers at the meets. 

Edited by Lane Shirey

I'll check it out, the collectors meets, thanks.  Glad to know these features about my fan.