Playing around with Propeller Design

Louis Luu

I don't remember where I saw something similar.  It was a long blade design with a sharp edge.  I'm trying to create something similar using CAD.  This is my first attempt.  I will also be trying to mimic the moline blade.

7 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Are you suggesting medieval type blade designs that require a mandatory OSHA guard?

US2684723-drawings-page-1.png

US2684723-drawings-page-2.png

YES....but I will probably run it without the guard just for slicing up stuff.  Very cool design.  Never seen this one before.  Thanks.

• Haha 2

Make sure the leading edge is razor sharp. That way, it doesn't hurt so much when it removes your finger. yikes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bill Dunlap said:

Make sure the leading edge is razor sharp. That way, it doesn't hurt so much when it removes your finger. yikes. 

Arms, legs, head, etc.

23 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Very cool design.  Never seen this one before.  Thanks.

Same guy has a unique blade design FOR REAL on a fan. You can find it on the old website, as long as it lasts. General Regulator Corporation. 

US2003073-drawings-page-1.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Thanks 1

Any cast blade hurts no matter which direction you put your finger in it... Nice thing about the back side is you don't know how much finger you lost from the shock of the situation!😅🤣😂

7 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Same guy has a unique blade design FOR REAL on a fan. You can find it on the old website, as long as it lasts. General Regulator Corporation. 

US2003073-drawings-page-1.png

So this was the designer, I remembered a slotted blade like this but it was in the teardrop design rather than oar/paddle.

49 minutes ago, Nicholas Denney said:

So this was the designer, I remembered a slotted blade like this but it was in the teardrop design rather than oar/paddle.

There are images of the blade on fan on the old website. The old website will no longer let me login to use the search engine. I have tried key words on Google to try and get the old website post(s) of the General Regulator Co. fan with blade to cough up on Google. No go. 

18 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

There are images of the blade on fan on the old website. The old website will no longer let me login to use the search engine. I have tried key words on Google to try and get the old website post(s) of the General Regulator Co. fan with blade to cough up on Google. No go. 

You mean this one?

image.thumb.png.fe7c2e70dcca9c8606e744cf550a0223.png

• Like 1

Always been a fan of the old style wood propellers, such as the ones on WWI biplanes. 

Be nice to have a few sizes available in cast (aluminum?) to choose from when I try and mimic the “plane” style fans.  

11 minutes ago, John Landstrom said:

Always been a fan of the old style wood propellers, such as the ones on WWI biplanes. 

Be nice to have a few sizes available in cast (aluminum?) to choose from when I try and mimic the “plane” style fans.  

That is certainly doable.  Give me time....still trying to figure out the geometry for the Moline blade and how to adapt it for the 12 inch fan.  Only thing I would add to the traditional propeller blade would be to add some serrated edge to the trailing edge.

Edited by Louis Luu

46 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

That is certainly doable.  Give me time....still trying to figure out the geometry for the Moline blade and how to adapt it for the 12 inch fan.  Only thing I would add to the traditional propeller blade would be to add some serrated edge to the trailing edge.

Just a standard smooth blade would be fine for me.   Not even sharp as the fan won’t have a cage.  Nice paint job on the cowl and body, something like an old Newport, Camel, etc.  I’ll just have to figure out how to make a timing gear so the rounds miss the prop……but that might be taking it too far. 

IMG_0838.jpeg

IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_0830.jpeg

Edited by John Landstrom

1 hour ago, John Landstrom said:

Just a standard smooth blade would be fine for me.   Not even sharp as the fan won’t have a cage.  Nice paint job on the cowl and body, something like an old Newport, Camel, etc.  I’ll just have to figure out how to make a timing gear so the rounds miss the prop……but that might be taking it too far. 

IMG_0838.jpeg

IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_0830.jpeg

Here you go....12 inch diameter.  You might want to change the angle of rotation if used as a fan so it blows forward?

image.png.c006f9b96e80f990ccc7298a64eb22f0.png

Edited by Louis Luu